Hip Hop Show??

Moderators: muzicmann1, heff, jdenver

airwavesguru

Hip Hop Show??

Post by airwavesguru » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:23 am

So I've got one of my jocks that really wants to put together an all hip hop show on Friday Nights from 8-10. He's come up with some really good idea to promote it and the other jocks are behind him 100 percent. Now I work in a median market and am not really sure if I should give this the O.K.
I think that incorporating more hip hop into the show would be alright but turning it over completely would be too much. The jocks are on his side as well as the music director.. Any thoughts from anyone as to what I should do here??

hitzmaker

Re: Hip Hop Show??

Post by hitzmaker » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:31 pm

I think you should work with your night guy and incorporate a "party" show for your station. You don't want to go full hip hop unless its what the listeners want. Try it out for a month and see what the audience's reaction is to it. Happy to hear that you have an open mind to this though. Many PDs would just toss the idea out the window and tell their jock to forget about it. Good luck and be sure to post this up when it all gets into place.

jetdavis

Post by jetdavis » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:56 am

airwavesguru wrote:So I've got one of my jocks that really wants to put together an all hip hop show on Friday Nights from 8-10. He's come up with some really good idea to promote it and the other jocks are behind him 100 percent. Now I work in a median market and am not really sure if I should give this the O.K.
I think that incorporating more hip hop into the show would be alright but turning it over completely would be too much. The jocks are on his side as well as the music director.. Any thoughts from anyone as to what I should do here??
Compromise.

Agree to do the show on a trial period, NOT DURING A FALL OR SPRING BOOK, and be willing to take musical suggestions, but schedule the music for him. It sounds to me like you have a hard time trusting him/them to pick the music 100%. Have him watch while you schedule and explain to him why we do what we do. Allow his input, but stay in the loop.

But if you have an online email database, this would be a great question to ask them and get a report card, that way you know what direction to go.

Now the burning question is, do you have an urban/rhythmic competitor? If so, you're dead in the water. You'll never out do those guys at their own game and what's worse is you'll lose credibility with the audience being the "copycat." If your answer to the question was yes, try something different, like a fresh spin on the Open House Party concept, not a bad idea, or how bout a party patrol where your jock and a mixer show up at someones house and do the broadcast live every friday night from 8-10, like a party on wheels? Think outside the bun and you'll find something that no one else is doing and then you can own it.

kdmusic24

Post by kdmusic24 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:02 am

You know it would not be such a bad Idea to true this as a separate recorded program on a Sunday night. I'm not sure were you are but up here in NE, stations will do those types of format screwing programs on Sunday night. That adds an extra energy to the station and breaks up the sometimes dull weekends.

airwavesguru

Post by airwavesguru » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:40 am

Agreed! Our O.M. and I have been talking and we are going to give it a trial run on Sunday Nights. We felt the same way, in saying that it would give a break to our traditional weekend programming. I think we've made the right move and excited to see what he does with the show.

coldautumn

Post by coldautumn » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:01 pm

I agree, trial runs would still be most suitable to test whether the listeners would welcome the change.