Bah Humbug...

hughdmann

Bah Humbug...

Post by hughdmann » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:46 pm

After building up a great brand for our station... my management is contemplating a flip to Christmas and throwing it all away. This leaves us wide open for our competition to take over the "More Music" position in the market.

I'm just sayin'.

AfternoonAfterburner

Re: Bah Humbug...

Post by AfternoonAfterburner » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:45 am

I'm with you, and here's why.

Here in small town, Arizona, there's this perception that we've got to be a quaint little town that only really cares about high school football. For years, every single FM music station would dedicate their entire Friday night every week to a local football broadcast. Over the years, we actually started to get complaints from listeners that were looking for music on Friday night, that they couldn't find any. So this football season, our PD made a bold move and dropped the sports broadcasts. His rationale was simple: we're a music station, we should be playing music.

I know every other station in the market is going to go nuts on Xmas tunes starting on Black Friday, but as MD, I've already spoken with my PD, and we've both decided that, again, we're going to be the one station people can go to when they get tired of Xmas tunes and want to hear some GOOD music. Seriously, how many different renditions of "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire" can you listen to before you want to take your own life?!

sexpot

Re: Bah Humbug...

Post by sexpot » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:47 pm

Be careful to not take the "anti Christmas" tack. That will get you into trouble! Tha fact is the audience wants xmas music...they get to pick how much they get by turning you on and off. Why not give them what they want? Play xmas music in blocks...then go back to regular programming. So you deliver but don't force an overdose that could cause a tune out! This way they never have to leave your station as they get the best of both worlds! How about three tunes at the top of the hour! >Listeners can programm the top of the hour by picking their three faves. "My three Christmas Favorites"...

You play the holiday faves...
You put your listeners in charge...
They come back every hour to hear their songs...
(even if your datebase is small and few pick their faves...fake it and mix in the real ones...) Perception...
Hey if you hear your three songs call in to win _____________ !