Brian Strobel

Moderator: jimmya

jimmya

Brian Strobel

Post by jimmya » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:58 am

Brian Strobel was the morning host on WFLS/Fredericksburg, VA for over 30-years. I had the pleasure of being his PD for 9 of those years. Brian had 40-plus shares on that show, and he was much loved.
More importantly, he was as nice a person as there was.

He passed last night tragically

Here is the link to the story- http://www.allaccess.com/country

It's a very sad day.

deadmeat

Re: Brian Strobel

Post by deadmeat » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:09 pm

Hey Jim, I remember those days well. I don't know if you kept up with Brian but lately he had been working for TeleMedia's Thunder 104.5, which signed on in 2001. Among his coworkers at Thunder- Sheila Quinn and Penny Wack (I forget her maiden name, but she used to do news at WFLS, I think it was Richardson). Brian's death comes as WFLS is getting ready to do their 2nd Annual St. Jude Radiothon. His last on-air partner Jessica Cash (formerly with WMZQ) will be there. I'll find out how the WFLS crew is holding up, as I will be volunteering on Saturday

Stephen

jimmya

Post by jimmya » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:59 am

Thanks Stephen....I actually spoke to Brian over the holidays, and we had a nice long chat. I didn't know at the time, but it was the last time we would ever talk- he always spoke fondly of the good ole days at WFLS, and I am really happy to have been a small part in all that-

We had a lot of fun back in those days- probably the most fun I ever had in radio

Here is a link to the story that Channel 4 did on Brian http://www.nbcwashington.com/video/#!/n ... /141990283

Jim

ribar

Post by ribar » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Stephen:
Penny's name was Stevenson when she started doing news during Brian's morning show. Fredericksburg.com has the up to the minute info including the funeral arrangements.
However, Jessica, being the true professional that she is, did an admirable job yesterday when the news of Brian's tragic death hit the airwaves. Steve Waters, her co-host, had worked with Brian previously, and provided additional support helping the entire Star Radio family come to grips with this tragedy as the story continued to develop.
This morning, the duo launched the Radiothon and did a spectacular job earning money for
St. Jude's and fielding comments and questions about Brian....for fourteen, some odd hours.
I think Brian would have been proud of their efforts.

kkfm

Post by kkfm » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:10 pm

Beautiful service for Brian yesterday. Obviously, lots of radio folks there, but most touching were the eulogies of non-industry friends. May we all earn that sort of love and respect before we go.

By the way, a trust has been established for Brian's family.

The Brian Strobel Memorial Fund
c/o Virginia Partner's Bank
410 William St
Fredericksburg, VA 22401
540-899-2265

My best to all,

Paul Johnson

phoenixlee

Post by phoenixlee » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:53 am

Thanks for that, it's much appreciated!
For more tips you can come to Tag Heuer shop Cartier Tank Cartier watches