South Florida

Moderator: pmsimon

byoham

South Florida

Post by byoham » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:15 am

South Florida talk radio has been non-existent since Neil Rogers retired. Neil was one of a kind and one of the best of all-time. There are a few strong Sports personalities down here, Joe Rose, Sid Rosenberg, Jim Mandich, Dan Lebatard..but there is no local News/Talk. WIOD is all syndicated, the other stations are all Sports. The only alternative is sofloradio.com.

EdtheWorldFamous

Re: South Florida

Post by EdtheWorldFamous » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:21 pm

I totally agree. Well heck it doesnt matter if I agreed or not, it's true. WIOD and WINZ (now sports) were the only talk outlets. Since Clear Channel is pro -right wing, they got rid of INZ and made it all sports. It's sad that the left can't get Big name talent like Limbaugh or Hannity in talk radio. until then, the right is all we will hear from.

pmsimon

Post by pmsimon » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:09 pm

I think the change in South Florida isn't so much a vast corporate conspiracy as much as it's a substantial change in demographics. There's a lot of talk radio in the market, but much of it isn't in English.

junebug

Post by junebug » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:26 pm

Does WFTL get into that area well? Can you hear it in Miami?

radiogirlfl

Post by radiogirlfl » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:00 pm

WFTL 850 is the most powerful NewsTalk station in Fl and is crystal clear from South Miami and Kendall all the way north to the Treasure Coast. (You can even hear it on the west coast of FL!) It is the only one with six hours of local talk with powerhouse Joyce Kaufman starting at noon and Jeff Katz at three. You can also listenlive online a www.850wftl.com. Enjoy!

pmsimon

Post by pmsimon » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:54 pm

radiogirlfl wrote:WFTL 850 is the most powerful NewsTalk station in Fl and is crystal clear from South Miami and Kendall all the way north to the Treasure Coast. (You can even hear it on the west coast of FL!) It is the only one with six hours of local talk with powerhouse Joyce Kaufman starting at noon and Jeff Katz at three. You can also listenlive online a http://www.850wftl.com. Enjoy!
Does it do well in the southern reaches of Dade at night? It was my experience that 850 was a little rough starting around Hollywood unless you were right up against the water, even after the signal upgraded. It's fine in all of Palm Beach and most of Broward, but Dade, I don't know... 830 was splashing on it down in the Gables last time I was there. Might have been the car radio.

Good move adding Jeff Katz, though.