Power Players

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
chomen

Power Players

Post by chomen » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:45 pm

These All Access power players all have the same basic look. Have you noticed? Suit, tie, white or blue button down shirt. Kinda dopey. Inane smile. Bad haircut.

Maybe one too many sales meetings...

Is this the best the radio business has to offer? This is the cream that rises to the top of this industry?

I am saddened and embarrassed on behalf of all of radio and all associated bidniz.

adam_bomb

Re: Power Players

Post by adam_bomb » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:32 pm

At least these suits aren't hiding. They're not saying much or giving away the store, but hell, they are saying something! Could be a case of "read between the lines" here!

chomen

Post by chomen » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:13 pm

Why must Power Players be so conventional? All I'm seeing image-wise is "I'm an all business Power Player, no nonsense ever."

You don't see suits and ties and button down shirts at Google and Facebook executive offices. Everybody at those places is down with the cool, relaxed, open shirt, pair of khakis look.

When did radio become so uptight? What happened to creativity and imagination? Please, I'm begging you. give me a Power Player look that communicates something other than "I will never cause any trouble and I will always stay right here inside this little tiny box."

Give some risk, some edge, some "out there" feeling. Or have all the creative people split already?

hategun

Post by hategun » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:50 pm

chomen wrote:Why must Power Players be so conventional? All I'm seeing image-wise is "I'm an all business Power Player, no nonsense ever."

You don't see suits and ties and button down shirts at Google and Facebook executive offices. Everybody at those places is down with the cool, relaxed, open shirt, pair of khakis look.
That's because radio is for old people.

At least, that's the perception. Why would anyone who is young, hip, smart, and creative choose to work in radio? Internet companies are the place to be. Plus, Internet companies can be started by young people with no money. Sometimes those companies get very big, very fast, and the young people can run them.

You can't exactly start a radio conglomerate from your dorm room. You have to slog through 30 years of corporate bullshit before you can be a "power player" in this industry. So of course they all look like corporate tools -- THEY ARE.

chomen

Post by chomen » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Yeah, I see what you're saying, but I think most Google and Microsoft exec's are 40+ and, for whatever reason, they don't communicate the dorkiness and goofiness I'm seeing in the radio Power Players appearing here.

adam_bomb

Post by adam_bomb » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:01 pm

Those cool guys at Google work in a different culture. Ever walk into CBS in NYC? Or the FOX Network? Take a trip to San Antonio to hang with John Hogan and there are no casual Fridays.

They are just not of a relaxed culture.

Hell, I'd ban wearing ties everywhere ... the have an arrow pointing down ... that's either "hey our stock is moving down" or "look at my dick" -- neither of them are inspiring.

hategun

Post by hategun » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:18 pm

The Internet is all about disruption. It is disrupting pretty much every industry and culture on earth. Naturally, the people working at Internet companies tend to be sort of edgy and counter-cultural. They're still dorks, but they don't feel so beholden to the normal rules of business that industries like radio have been saddled with for 100 years. Hell, the Internet (as we know it) is only 14 years old, so all Internet companies are, by definition, young companies.

What was the last thing radio disrupted? The telegraph?

junebug

Post by junebug » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:30 pm

Suits and ties don't mean someone's not cool and forward-thinking. But radio guys aren't cool and forward-thinking anyway, no matter what they wear. Even the young ones aren't cool, unless dressing and acting like douchebags has gotten cool now.

chomen

Post by chomen » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:51 pm

Yeah, I am aware of that, junebug: the problem is that every Power Player thus far has had the exact same look. Button down. Conventional. All bidniz.

What might be nice -- not everytime, but just once in awhile -- is to see the image of a leader who looks as if an actual creative or imaginative thought had entered the brain here and there.

All I'm seeing image-wise from the radio business leadership is this "Wouldn't want to be late for the sales meeting, now would we?" kind of look.

Give some eccentric vision now and then.

duckbunny

Post by duckbunny » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:44 pm

We do seem to come off a bit stodgy as an industry don't we? I think you have to look past the photo and read what the power player actually says though. At least in the case of Robert Neil he seems to get it. Particularly in his criticism of Arbitron's Not Ready For Prime Time PPM rollout. It's remarkable what broadcasters have put up with from that company over they years. Bad science is bad science. That being said I can understand the frustration with the suits. While I feel sorry for antyone who has to don "business attire" many of these folks come from sales backgrounds anyway and have merely convinced themselves and others that they are programming geniuses because they log on to allaccess every day and read the e-mails from the consultants every week. If you've paid your dues that's one thing. But it's very sad to hear from solid broadcasters who have had their careers derailed by suits who have never cracked a mic.