Advice for Job Seekers

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
jdenver

Re: Advice for Job Seekers

Post by jdenver » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:58 am

Hi danno ...

I get emails all the time from our users who have thanked us for the Situations Wanted section, and how it has helped them find a new job. Good luck in your job quest. -- Joel

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:12 am

Hell man, I remember "Vox Jocks" and the radio postings in Billboard.

It hasn't changed really, job postings are very often EEO based. The company has to make a 'good faith" effort to hire minorities, women, one legged midgets, Bi-Sexual quadriplegics... whatever. The "national talent search" ads accomplish that, or at least satisfy the lawyers.

Then, as now, nothing takes the place of personal connections with colleagues, former employers etc. I have yet to know of anyone who ever got a job through a Situations Wanted ad.

robnokshus

Post by robnokshus » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:48 am

"The box of broken dreams" Classic.

That brings to mind a related story. I was doing mornings at a medium market station and my co-host/news person was pretty new to the business. One morning she was beating herself up over what she felt was a botched newscast or something. I told her to follow me and we went into the production studio, where I pulled the aforementioned "Box of broken dreams" out from under the console. We spent the better part of an hour listening to tapes that, for the most part, had no business being submitted to ANY station. She left feeling a whole lot better about the job she was doing.

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:25 pm

...and the box eventually found it's way to Cumulus, Citadel and Clear Channel. Now those people are on the air in major markets making $10/hr, and the pros have all been booted down to Bumf*%k.

danmac

Post by danmac » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:52 pm

Most of the small markets are using one of the Evil Empire VT services, or a JACK, BOB, ED or iPod with liner services. The stations pay for it with 2 minutes an hour. Most of these markets charge 6 bucks for 30 second spot anyway, so they think that it's nuthing to give away 2 minutes an hour.

Not looking for a job anymore. I'm now Semi-Retired and doing the Sub Teaching thing.
At age 50, I found that I just don't give a blank anymore.

Dan

jerimiah

Post by jerimiah » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:58 pm

I've been around long enough to have gotten good jobs from "situations wanted" in BROADCASTING Magazine. The competition was still fierce but there was no VTing. Although in Trenton I did VT a nite show for our station. My main gig was middays. No computers, a board op had to run the show.

There were actually fewer stations then and FM hadn't yet become major but stations still needed live talent 24/7.
Today, if you're an experienced pro you need to network like hell to chase down the meager number of openings. It's a brave new world. So many more stations now but so few jobs.

Jerry Gordon KNUU Las Vegas