Lee Abrams on radio

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
pbergin

Lee Abrams on radio

Post by pbergin » Tue May 10, 2011 2:39 am

This may be the most articulate evaluation of radio in it's present state that I've seen.

http://www.markramseymedia.com/2011/05/ ... ntent-war/

pbergin

Re: Lee Abrams on radio

Post by pbergin » Fri May 13, 2011 7:15 am

Well it goes without saying that he knows what's wrong, and that he articulates it well. That was my point, really, there's nothing there that hasn't been addressed in this forum ad infinitum.

What always tends to amaze me is that these "geniuses" can appreciate what's wrong, but can't articulate what to do about it other than generalized and vague comments about "creativity."

Well Hell's fire pal, either "create" something or get the fuck out of the way and let the on-air people do it! That goes for every damned consultant out there who insists on "creative, but within constraints," which inevitably means "find a creative way to sell these positioning slogans."

When I think of the stuff I used to do on-air... some of it way beyond what would be accepted in today's environment... it seriously makes me sad for the few friends I have left who are hanging on. We used to have fun for cryin' out loud, and we got ratings!

Is all of that gone?

robnokshus

Post by robnokshus » Fri May 13, 2011 9:30 am

I happened to be at that particular panel that Abrams was on (along with John Dickey who kept trying to sell the "advantages of scale" to the crowd). Abrams was very able at proclaiming all that is wrong with radio today and very slim on what to do about it. In fact, a common thread throughout the whole weekend was the need for "creative" and "content." Of course these are themes that get bandied about at these gatherings all the time while back at the station the only creative thing happening is trying to find a new way to frame layoffs (Roy Laughlin's "Right-sizing" comes to mind).

I heard a cranky old Jeff Pollack talk about how we need to bring in "new blood" from outside of radio. Sheesh! Ever read copy written by a coder? We don't need to apply SEO tactics to radio. What the industry needs to do is try to lure some of the people they drove away back and let them do what they do best, make good radio, and do it within the parameters (PPM, mobile, on-air, etc...) of today's media environment. Technology and Social Networking all are well and good, but it's the human element that is going to save radio. As Dr. Drew mentioned during Saturday's talent panel, "radio is storytelling."

Radio needs more great story tellers, not just tellers of tall tales.

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Mon May 16, 2011 7:40 am

Yup, exactly!

That panel sounds like the death throes of dinosaurs.

Jala

Post by Jala » Tue May 17, 2011 11:25 pm

Word!! I worked for Lee. He's brilliant.. Fuck ya'll who say different. Sorry Hall. Gotta disagree with you there. when I worked for him we made magic.. :ugeek:

robnokshus

Post by robnokshus » Wed May 18, 2011 9:04 am

Jala wrote:Word!! I worked for Lee. He's brilliant.. Fuck ya'll who say different. Sorry Hall. Gotta disagree with you there. when I worked for him we made magic.. :ugeek:
Yeah, so magical they had to turn KMET into dolphin noises and Kenny G after he was finished with it.