Should I bother, or should I get into like.. food service?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
thecheese

Should I bother, or should I get into like.. food service?

Post by thecheese » Tue May 24, 2011 9:25 pm

0 radio experience, been a mobile DJ for years.

I'd like to get a gig making minimum wage and reading the farm report on some podunk station, but I don't know if I got the chops.

Give 'em a listen and rip away.

http://bestradiojobs.com/employers/sear ... me_id=1170

KaseyKruz

Re: Should I bother, or should I get into like.. food servic

Post by KaseyKruz » Wed May 25, 2011 12:21 am

I like the top 40 presentation best. Not too "in your face", real, listenable, and genuine. Good chops and good material. Just watch the "catch phrases" like "comin atcha". Shop your stuff around to stations in an area where you would like to live.
I listened to the Rock aircheck twice, and you do sound comfortable, but I think Top 40 or at least Adult Hits is where you can shine.
I would change the avatar on the page you linked, though, just my opinion.

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Wed May 25, 2011 6:35 am

Hey, food service works. You get a free hat, and get to work behind the mike.

Just keep practicing: "You want fries with that?... You want fries with that?...You want fries with that?... You want fries with that?...You want fries with that?... You want fries with that?..."

thecheese

Post by thecheese » Wed May 25, 2011 7:25 am

pbergin wrote:Hey, food service works. You get a free hat, and get to work behind the mike.

Just keep practicing: "You want fries with that?... You want fries with that?...You want fries with that?... You want fries with that?...You want fries with that?... You want fries with that?..."
I actually got kicked out of a Wendy's my then girlfriend worked at for beat boxing into the mic they had hanging of the cash register.. actually i'm not sure if it was my beat boxing or the expletive laced wolfman jack impersonation I did just before.. "This here's the Wolfman.. i'm back from the dead mothertruckerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrssss!!!"

Hey, the guy on fries thought it was funny. But i'm pretty sure he was high. Or a really tall Asian with red hair.

robnokshus

Post by robnokshus » Wed May 25, 2011 9:20 am

A little more practice and you might land that farm report! ;)

Your country aircheck is the most solid; relaxed, real. You could get a job with that one.

The Top 40 needs to be re-labeled AC and the Rock aircheck could be your Top 40 aircheck if you swapped out the songs, but even then... I'd lose it.

The writing in your posts now, that was pretty good. You have a production dermo you can throw up there? Creative commercials are in very short supply. You get a production gig in a small market you will most assuredly get an airshift to go along with it.

Good luck!

thecheese

Post by thecheese » Wed May 25, 2011 11:55 am

Here are a couple of bits I put together in about an hour a few months ago just playing around with some loose ideas I had floating around in my head.

All voices are me.. including the 'woman' calling in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHxwepj18-M

Enjoy.

thecheese

Post by thecheese » Wed May 25, 2011 1:34 pm

halltalk wrote:Honestly? This is not good. Worse yet - it's not useable. Used sex toys? A lame attempt at a back voice that sounds zero like Redd Foxx?
Point taken.

What were your thoughts on the air checks referenced to in the original post?

mockspeed

Post by mockspeed » Mon May 30, 2011 8:56 pm

You have some good chops. That doesn't mean as much today, but doesn't hurt. The guy is right, sarcastic or vulgar humor has no place at this point. You're trying to get your foot in the door. Take that jive "hey I am the party machine DJ" stuff out of your presentation. Listen to some of the top stations in their respective formats (streams), not to copy but to get a feel on tempo, delivery, pacing, and so on. You have some presence, you simply need to refine and develop your style.Practice, practice,practice. Good Luck.

exspree

Post by exspree » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:15 pm

Be real. Be you. Don't be an announcer.

thecheese

Post by thecheese » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:52 am

Thanks for the critique and suggestions.

I'm not offended, in fact, i'm delighted that you guys are critical.. that's exactly why I posted the stuff.. for *critical* analysis.

What may be of note, however.. is that my 'style' as it is, is simply imitating what i've heard (and still hear) on the radio today.. how a typical listener hears the announcers of today.

To you, it may sound like an SNL parody of a DJ.. but to us lowly audience members, it IS how DJ's sound to us.

But the lesson learned here is that it's not so much what the listeners want to hear, but what the PD thinks the listeners should hear that makes the difference between getting that 3AM farm report dry read job and.. well.. sitting here on the internet asking how to get that job.