Should I bother, or should I get into like.. food service?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
thecheese

Re: Should I bother, or should I get into like.. food servic

Post by thecheese » Wed May 25, 2011 11:55 am

Here are a couple of bits I put together in about an hour a few months ago just playing around with some loose ideas I had floating around in my head.

All voices are me.. including the 'woman' calling in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHxwepj18-M

Enjoy.

thecheese

Post by thecheese » Wed May 25, 2011 1:34 pm

halltalk wrote:Honestly? This is not good. Worse yet - it's not useable. Used sex toys? A lame attempt at a back voice that sounds zero like Redd Foxx?
Point taken.

What were your thoughts on the air checks referenced to in the original post?

mockspeed

Post by mockspeed » Mon May 30, 2011 8:56 pm

You have some good chops. That doesn't mean as much today, but doesn't hurt. The guy is right, sarcastic or vulgar humor has no place at this point. You're trying to get your foot in the door. Take that jive "hey I am the party machine DJ" stuff out of your presentation. Listen to some of the top stations in their respective formats (streams), not to copy but to get a feel on tempo, delivery, pacing, and so on. You have some presence, you simply need to refine and develop your style.Practice, practice,practice. Good Luck.

exspree

Post by exspree » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:15 pm

Be real. Be you. Don't be an announcer.

thecheese

Post by thecheese » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:52 am

Thanks for the critique and suggestions.

I'm not offended, in fact, i'm delighted that you guys are critical.. that's exactly why I posted the stuff.. for *critical* analysis.

What may be of note, however.. is that my 'style' as it is, is simply imitating what i've heard (and still hear) on the radio today.. how a typical listener hears the announcers of today.

To you, it may sound like an SNL parody of a DJ.. but to us lowly audience members, it IS how DJ's sound to us.

But the lesson learned here is that it's not so much what the listeners want to hear, but what the PD thinks the listeners should hear that makes the difference between getting that 3AM farm report dry read job and.. well.. sitting here on the internet asking how to get that job.

KaseyKruz

Post by KaseyKruz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:00 am

thecheese wrote:What may be of note, however.. is that my 'style' as it is, is simply imitating what i've heard (and still hear) on the radio today.. how a typical listener hears the announcers of today.

To you, it may sound like an SNL parody of a DJ.. but to us lowly audience members, it IS how DJ's sound to us.
This all depends on where you are listening to the radio. You have the internet as a solid source of programming from places all over the country and the world. Search out some of the biggest and best talents this country has to offer and listen to how they present their show. Back in the day we only had quarterly cd's that FMQB would put out that had top market talent airchecks to listen to- it was far too expensive for some to travel to a major market to listen to the talent on a DJ salary. Today, you can listen to anyone who has a stream, and those who don't have a stream are probably not worth listening to anyway. Use the resource to better yourself and learn from those who are at the top, they are there for a reason.