How bout no more commission only jobs on All Access

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
mockspeed

How bout no more commission only jobs on All Access

Post by mockspeed » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:29 pm

Now every jag off who does news, weather, and some kind of show thinks their syndication
material. What's amusing is they often place ads pitching for sales or affiliate hot shots to
rep them....for commission only. Now I am not in the affiliate relations or a sales guru, but I
can flat out tell you if you want strong performers you must pay a base. Leslie Lotto, even
had an ad requesting that only "sales pros" respond, not radio jocks, etc. Are you kidding?
I know a lot of major players in affiliate relations, and they might work with you for a monthly
fee, as well as bonuses for each station they add. In what world do you live in to expect some
poor bastard to smile and dial for hours, pitching some feature or show that is going nowhere?

kickass

Re: How bout no more commission only jobs on All Access

Post by kickass » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:50 am

Good points Gents,

From someone who has done (and still does a bit) of the Affiliate stuff, I totally agree, Most shows/hosts are too hard headed to understand how much work it takes to connect with decision makers and what it might take to clear something - let's be honest here: those with more money/influence than you have an advantage.

I've stopped talking to potential clients in this area, simply because the expectation is too difficult to manage and most times "the way the wind blows" rules the day. Pro Tip for those trying to get their show/feature cleared: figure out a way to offer some compensation - you'll get a better response from those with experience, and most likely work into a situation where they WILL be able to eventually work off of commissions.

jdenver

Post by jdenver » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:02 am

Hi all ...

Been reading this thread and similar ones for a while now.

If you promote your stream or syndicated show, we ask the user to not do so and we pull the post.

As far as commission only posts -- it happens in the real world outside of radio all the time.

No one likes to see it or admit it -- but it's a reality for some.

Thanks for the feedback -- always appreciated -- Joel Denver

flyman

Post by flyman » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:01 am

Hey guys, I have made a pretty decent living at those "Commission Only Jobs". I have made more money than I ever made as a jock, and then some. In Major Markets, as well as in Small Markets. This lead to me starting my own business ventures, which Yes, are "commission only," when you Look at it. Oh, and those companies that you work for, are basically working for "Commission Only" until they get paid by their clients, then they pay you. Some hear a lot of B.S. from a lot of people on here, about how good they are, can do, etc..., and yet they do not produce in the real world. When you are commission only, you get to Prove yourself, and I don't know about you, but I like having my wallet grow, instead of my placard collection on the wall.