Amount of male discrimination in the job posts is SHOCKING

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
timryan

Amount of male discrimination in the job posts is SHOCKING

Post by timryan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:58 pm

The amount of BLATANT gender discrimination in some of these job ads I see on allaccess.com, especially in this day of EEO laws, is appalling - and I am shocked that the idiots who post them aren't called on it more. I can't tell you how many times I've read an ad where in the title or in the description it says "Looking for FEMALE ____________ (insert job title here)." The thing that gets me is that after stating they are looking for a female, at the end of the ad they have the nerve to put: "Joe Shmo Broadcasting is an Equal Opportunity Employer ". UN-Believable.

-Timmy Ryan
thetimmyryan@live.com

steelstringslider

Re: Amount of male discrimination in the job posts is SHOCK

Post by steelstringslider » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:57 am

Don't think it's discrimination. In essence, radio stations are "casting" for a role. These types of jobs, including movies and TV roles, are exempt since they are looking for a specific type. As an example, think of a movie studio casting the female or male lead in a 20 something romantic comedy. Angela Lansbury and Sylvester Stallone would not be eligible. So if a radio station wants a specific gender or age, they are legally permitted to ask for it. I was PD of a station in the Northeast and checked with our attorney before placing an ad. This is how he explained it to me.

timryan

Post by timryan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:35 pm

Well, your attorney is wrong. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. By what he is saying is that it would be perfectly legal to place an ad that says: " Radio company looking for a non hispanic, white male. Anyone over 35 or who doesn't meet those standards, need apply". See how far you get with that.
And btw, I have yet to see an ad to the contrary of what I originally posted that says " Looking for MALE ___________ (insert job title here)".
Last edited by timryan on Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:49 am

They're attempting to show that they're in compliance with EEO requirements by posting "females encouraged to apply." That way if they hire a man, and a woman who was passed over complains, they can point to the ad and say "we tried."

This works against women and minorities as much as it works in their favor.

rondareid957

Post by rondareid957 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:58 pm

Alrighty then, now that you have voiced your opinion, you may not notice that the Entertainment industry as a "whole" is male dominant .. being an EOE the industry is far more open than 20 years ago to females in the market. It's not as easy to be a female in this industry in several areas and men are more dominating. Maybe you should look into another avenue of the industry that is dominantly male so you wont be as offended or threatened by strong women in the music industry.

timryan

Post by timryan » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:04 am

I'm not offended by "strong women". That has nothing to do with this. I am offended, however, by discrimination- of all kinds. NO ONE should be blatantly discriminated against.
If there were ads (and I've NEVER seen one) that said " looking for a MALE ___________"- all the women would be raising holy hell, saying that it's discrimination- and rightfully so. It just goes back to the fact that discrimination is still accepted in our society today, as long as it's directed towards men.
Let's look at the law once again, kids:

***"Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin".***

When there is an ad that says they are looking for a **specific** gender, that is being BLATANTLY discriminatory, and is totally illegal. End of discussion. You either agree or you believe in gender discrimination.

flyman

Post by flyman » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:47 am

I have been discriminated against in this way, in the industry: One because of my religion, another because of my age (you are too old for the gig....), and also due to being a Male Personality.

Hey, I agree with having some young, hotties, without morals around the station, but come one guys,l someone that is a true professional should get the job and hire them as interns. (oops! Did I just say that?)

radioelizabeth

Post by radioelizabeth » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:19 pm

Oh my goodness.

It is not discrimination if the job posting is for an on air talent. It falls under “bona fide occupational qualification” - and this title that keeps getting cited in some sort of "anti discrimination rant" is ignoring that the BFOQ covers this. It is only discrimination if there is refusal based on preference EXCEPT where necessary for the purpose of authenticity or genuineness, such as hiring an actor or actress.

An on air talent is a ROLE. Of course both men and women can be radio personalities, but the argument won't work if the station is specifically looking to fill this role with their listeners. Radio is entertainment.

If you see a news director, program director, producer, etc... being requested, then you have an argument. If it is for a personality, it is covered as the occupational qualification.

That being said... go ahead and send a demo and resume of your success playing the role of a female on the radio and see if you get a shot. If they are searching for an actress, and you can pull off drag... go for it.

timryan

Post by timryan » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:52 am

Radioelizabeth- I DEFY you to find *one* single radio ad that says: " Looking for a MALE_______". You will NEVER, EVER, EVER find one. Wanna know why? Fear of being sued because of gender discrimination. ***"Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, SEX, or national origin".*** . The law is pretty cut and dry. Time for you to go back to school, and learn EEO laws.
Game over.

radioelizabeth

Post by radioelizabeth » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:00 pm

I'm not sure why you two decided to repeat yourself (in all caps in some cases) - I already read your comments in this discussion and dealt with them.

You continue to cite the law without dealing with the additional exceptions I specifically mentioned for you. This means, from a logical standpoint you are being intellectually dishonest to continue in your silly argument.

The law does not prohibit posting for specific roles. Anyone denying that an air personality is a role needs to get out of radio. That is in essence what you folks are arguing when you scream "job job job!!!".

Again, find one posting that seeks a male or female for any other position other than on air and you have my vote that it would be discrimination. If it is for talent - it's covered under the specifics I already mentioned.

As to why you might see a disproportionate number of requests for female talent rather than males likely deals with the current reality that there is a disproportionate number of females to males in the industry as a whole.

The discussion is just nonsense.