WTF?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
riseandshine

WTF?

Post by riseandshine » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:22 pm

Middays on a CBS station in Charlotte NC....25K a year!
APD in Burlington VT....25K a year!
Loving Radio despite the ability to pay your bills and survive no matter what the market level.....Priceless!

gatorstunes

Re: WTF?

Post by gatorstunes » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:28 am

I think Chick-Fil-A pays a bit better than that, and you get Sundays off.

LOL!

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:09 am

You'd have to be crazy to stick with radio these days, the best decision I ever made was to get out. I sometimes peruse the job ads just to see what's out there... it's appalling. I also read the interviews and postings from folks looking for work. They often approach desperation.

Everybody has his own decision point, the point where one decides enough is enough. What are the odds, really, that radio will ever again be a viable employment option? As I write this... to the right of the page...is an ad for Bob Shannan's new book "Turn It Up" about the great years of radio... 1946-1996. How ironic that, as the industry falls to pieces in front of us, we can always buy a book and read about what radio could be.

mrrnb

Post by mrrnb » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:04 pm

It would be only fair that Regional VPs, General Managers, Operations Managers, Sales Managers, etc. reduce their pay by the same amount when comes to then vs. now. The business is completely different now, right? Nobody should be getting wealthy in today's radio business considering how it's on the ropes and struggling to survive. Lew? Lew? Lew? Can you read me?

Oh, and there should be no wars and peace on earth. They all have about the same chances of happening.

teckstuff

Post by teckstuff » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:00 pm

That is exactly why I left the biz. My first station group: $24K a year. Second station group: $31,200. Third station group: $37K and change. Certainly it isn't a good wage. I wore several hats at all three stations. If I can't go to a major market, I will just keep doing engineering work...plus my weekly radio show just for fun.