I Admit It - Just About Done

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
Drakea83

Re: I Admit It - Just About Done

Post by Drakea83 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:24 pm

Well said...

exspree

Post by exspree » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:17 pm

Goodbye to romance.

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:34 am

It's tough and frightening to leave, I speak from personal experience as you know. But I can say this... once you do get out you'll never look back.

I've been out of radio for 12 years now. I keep in touch with my old pals and poke in here from time to time to see what's new, mainly because Joel Denver and I go back 30 years. But I don't seem to care about the business anymore.

If some radio adventure ever popped up that might be a fit I'd look at it... I'm actually talking to some folks now, and have been for some time... but I'd be just as happy to stay right here, where I've been for 12 years now, working as a systems administrator.

Get some training and try something else. At the very worst you could say you gave it a shot and it wasn't right.

robnokshus

Post by robnokshus » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:48 pm

and don't forget - Ryan got his LA gig AFTER Idol ... he didn't work his way up
Not exactly true. He did afternoons across the hall at KYSR long before Idol. You may not care for him or the symbol for "Premium Choice" that he has become, but there is no denying his success. And he got there by working hard and working constantly.
I'm not quite at the point of giving up, retiring...
Well if its any consolation Hall, you probably won't have to make that decision. Until then, hang in there and enjoy the ride while it lasts (and stock up on t-shirts).

jayronair

Post by jayronair » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:53 am

I'm 20 and I have been in radio since 15.... I am switching my major to Sports Management... Radio is a dying art.

ccformer

Post by ccformer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:09 pm

In the same boat. I couldn't have said it better myself.

stevemckay

Post by stevemckay » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:53 pm

I had a career I can look back on with a smile and know that I made a solid living, had a good time, and even had opportunities to help many people through various charities I was involved with through my radio career. After 26 years I started looking around and watching what was happening. I went on many interviews at "high-profile"stations, and discovered that very few of my interviewers wanted to discuss my abilities as a PD, but rather, they wanted to know about my digital experience. I have my own thoughts about the industry going in that direction, but I also knew it was their "ball" and they could do what they wanted with it. I had a choice, be bitter and whine about missing the "way things used to be," or move on and find something that could provide for me and my family as I, dare I say, age. I asked myself one simple question: could I see myself doing this when I'm 50? That was close to 4 years ago. I made the decision to move on and learn my family's business that I now own. I make more money than I'd ever be able to make in radio, with more security and excellent benefits. I never imagined that I'd be able to live without radio, but I am, and

stevemckay

Post by stevemckay » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:57 pm

(sorry, hit the wrong key!)...I guess my point is that you CAN live and THRIVE in a new situation. I urge you to ask yourself the same question I asked: Can I see myself doing this at age 50? It can be scary to step out of your zone, but I urge each of you to remember that there IS life after radio. Be strong.