Who's REALLY getting hurt from all this.

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
jtepp2180

Who's REALLY getting hurt from all this.

Post by jtepp2180 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:32 am

Let's face it, the people that are REALLY getting hurt from RIF and the general decline of radio are the people who are trying to get into radio. I've been looking for a job even long before I graduated college and I couldn't even get a look my direction (I understand one of those reasons was because I hadn't graduated yet). I've heard the statistic that for each radio job, there's 50-100 people for it, and thanks to RIF, that number could be 200 or more. I feel like I wasted the last four years of my life. At least its a general Communication Studies degree, maybe I can do something with it.

Radio1240

Re: Who's REALLY getting hurt from all this.

Post by Radio1240 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:01 am

Buy a hot dog cart! Communicate with your customers, can't get fired, work 5 days a week 4 hours a day...it's a cash business.... and fund your own 401K...no backstabbing, no budget cuts, no Wall Street directing your future...and No unemployment!!! Good Luck! and don't forget to smile when your customers approach you for a sale!..it's ALL YOURS!!.... God Bless... :-)

jtepp2180

Post by jtepp2180 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:26 pm

That's brilliant! I like hot dogs!

tvguy2

Post by tvguy2 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:24 am

No. The listener is getting hurt by this most of all. A station in Cincinnati can't get to the scene of a four-alarm hazmat spill with a boil order in Rockford, Illinois as quickly as the station in Rockford can.

Unless you want to put an AE on the air and "override" the national programming. I guess that's what it comes down to.

CC risks losing licenses over this if someone out there -- in some community that has a disaster -- files for a revoke come renewal time under the "acting in the public interest, convenience and necessity" clause. The FCC doesn't take a lot of the rules seriously, but in the event of a local disaster -- that one, they will.

That, of course, is the 'worst-case scenario' environment, which doesn't happen 364 days out of 365. But just wait until some "regional desk" in Tampa is trying to read school snow closings in Albany, NY. You'll hear an earful from very angry listeners.

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:51 am

There already was a disaster, in 2002 a train carrying poisonous anhydrous ammonia derailed in the middle of the night , and since there was "no one home" at the local Clear Channel outlet, KCJB, the community was not notified in a timely manner.