Web Resumes

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
robnokshus

Re: Web Resumes

Post by robnokshus » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:06 am

Dude, you go ahead and vent here. That's what this space is (partly) about. I doubt that there are very many decision makers lurking on Net Talk.

Look at it this way. The job search is a two way street. You are looking for as much info from a prospective employer as they are from you. If you are applying to stations whose personel are incapable of opening a web page, well, it's probably not a good fit for you. Move on.

I understand your frustration. We've all been (or will be) in the same boat at one time or another. In the meantime, keep your chops up, do a podcast, use social media to build a following and get used to the 24-hour hustle, because that's the "New Normal" baby.

Good luck to you.

partyshark

Post by partyshark » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:39 am

CarterManGod wrote: And your whole "ears open - mouth shut" schtick just sucks.
It's necessary to a point...
CarterManGod wrote: The 'newbies' can help older gen radio vets learn a lot of useful things to help them retain some relevancy. What's the older gen got for us? Lessons on reel to reel, minidiscs, payola, old bits we can copy, cart number systems?
Reel to reel or Pro Tools makes no difference to the listener, they just want to be entertained.
The thing you fail to see is it's not just being a radio DJ, it's learning how to reach people through radio, how to entertain within the guidelines set forth by the suits, and make it sound like a winner of a station. I just don't give a f*ck if it's 2011 or 1973, radio is what it is- an entertainment medium. If you think 6 years doing a morning show in some way qualifies you to not have to improve your game, then you've lost. You seem to think the the "older gen" has nothing to offer you and it's a bit of a pitfall for you. If you take some time and honestly ask some seasoned vets about the business without coming off all cocky and arrogant and instead just listen and learn, you may just make some contacts and develop a network that transcends facebook and twitter. Hell, it could land you a primo gig somewhere. I've been lucky enough to "apply" for 2 radio jobs in my career. The remainder of my positions were acquired from "friends in the biz" either putting in a word or giving a heads up. As for us "older gen" learning from the newbies, some of us do just fine with new media and are actually excelling with it, thank you.
CarterManGod wrote:I gave you cred for helping me come to a moment of clarity- but that wasn't enough. So, now I think we've all had enough of your pearls.
Sounded like sarcasm to me and I posted my reply to that post before I saw your following post, so an apology is due- I'm sorry if you got all butt-hurt

spokesgoddess

Post by spokesgoddess » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:58 am

Great place to vent if you have an anonymous handle. Carter's website complete with several photos was easy to find. Just sayin'...

CarterManGod

Post by CarterManGod » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:11 am

I never said I had "nothing" to learn from the older gen has a much shorter list to teach now that much of what they used to know is now all but obsolete , including techniques regarding diarys when ppm seems to be the new "perfect" system. Pretty sure I said that the people within the dept. should work together as opposed to for or against each other. I mean, if you didn't get the memo- a lot of the older crowd is being filtered out for making too much money.

Party Shark I'm sure you have no problem with today's tech, as you said. Based on your posts here, you're an expert in everything. And I also know there's Plenty I can still learn- I just don't think I want to learn it from a sufferable know it all like you. In fact, your attitude towards me seems just as bad as my own.

Btw- I wasn't being sarcastic when I gave you cred- and that's your problem. You don't even know when you've succeeded- you just can't stop hammering away pointlessly. It's over. Go home.

partyshark

Post by partyshark » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:46 am

CarterManGod wrote:Do I need to send cassette tapes and notebook paper to these fossils?
It's that kind of attitude that the "old fossils" take offense to. You just dont get it and seems like you never will.
CarterManGod wrote:I never said I had "nothing" to learn from the older gen has a much shorter list to teach now that much of what they used to know is now all but obsolete , including techniques regarding diarys when ppm seems to be the new "perfect" system.
Once again, it isn't the tricks of the trade Carter, it's internal personal skills which you seem to be lacking. You can't even take a little criticism from an anonymous user on a message board without getting all butt hurt, why do you suppose you can't find a decent gig?
CarterManGod wrote:It's a sad state of affairs when a consolidating (some might say failing) industry wants one 'jack of all trades' to do the jobs of three people, but can't be bothered to look at the resume of someone who has all those skills, in the format or medium that they should be looking for!
Maybe they are looking but don't like what they see, or maybe they just don't like the fact that you can't follow simple directions and send a standard package.

It's true that this industry isn't what it used to be, but there's still a way things are done, and if you cant play by the rules, you won't be picked for the team.
CarterManGod wrote:Those already "at the top" makin' the rules- as you put it, have done a bang up job btw!

And btw- when I said those in charge have done a bang up job- I was referring to the general state of the radio industry... Not whatever you've decided to translate
As was I, or was that not clear to you?
Hmmm, so you said that the ones at the top making the decisions have screwed radio up and I said it was the suits not the local PD's but I somehow misinterpreted what you said? It seems to me that you like to change your story when it suits you instead of taking responsibility and admitting your faults and mistakes.
CarterManGod wrote:So, my problem is I haven't met a PD I can respect.
....Respect is mutually earned- no freebies for wearing dentures.
Yup, and that attitude will land you on the beach real quick.

It seems you think all these PDs have a problem and dont deserve your respect, but why is it they have a job and you dont? Maybe you need to do a reality check and look in the mirror to find out who the real problem child is. You dont find it odd that you have problems with all these PDs who were "tools" as you put it? The common denominator in all three scenarios is YOU.

partyshark

Post by partyshark » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:59 am

CarterManGod wrote: Based on your posts here, you're an expert in everything. And I also know there's Plenty I can still learn- I just don't think I want to learn it from a sufferable know it all like you. In fact, your attitude towards me seems just as bad as my own.
I'll be the first to tell you that I don't know it all and my wife will back that up. I know this business because I made it my life. As far as me being a "sufferable know it all", that's just your impression of me and those who know more than you do. I've been in this game for twenty years and survived many RIFs, ownership changes, PD changes, format changes and the like. I've been fired once and left all my other positions for better ones. You came on here asking for advice and I gave you some, so don't cry about not wanting to hear it because it wasn't what you wanted to hear. Regarding my attitude being as bad as yours, I've never been accused of sugarcoating the issues. If you wanna play tackle football, dont whine when it hurts.(translation just in case you dont get the metaphor - dont start the tough talk if you cant take it)

partyshark

Post by partyshark » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:29 am

Haha carter, or shall I say Black Thunder, I just found you on a Michigan radio board...seems I'm not the only one who thinks you have a problem with authority. You better update that resume website of yours. It doesnt appear that you are doing mornings on 102.7 GNI in Wilmington, North Carolina anymore! Looks like Jackie, your former morning co-host still has a job though...hmmm

CarterManGod

Post by CarterManGod » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:38 pm

Omg- you really don't know how to stop talking do you? Btw- I called you a "know it all" because I already knew your unending posts from the GR Buzzboard Sherlock! You've dished on me before stupid.

And, yes- I ABSOLUTELY have a problem with authority. Shouldn't be a big surprise- since I've already elluded here to the fact that I dont respect people just for being old. Do you feel as though you've uncovered a mystery? It's mostly because of the fact that I've worked with a lot of PDs who didn't even know how to post a YouTube video, update the website, make a graphic, or even use anything to edit audio but a Shortcut machine! That's been my experience, and it's pathetic.

I apologize if I don't touch on everything from the unbelievably long- winded novel you typed up there. There's just no way I'm reading all that (only skimmed your last one- so, I'm not even sure where your thoughts are at this point). Sorry- I'm sure it had lots of neato comments, but you really can't stop can you? And you still haven't figured out that I'm just gonna say things at this point that I think might piss you off! Just like the MI Buzzboard! You dorks love it too- gives you someone to lecture. Makes you feel relevant, and satisfies my urges to annoy a bunch of posers. We're definitely in play mode now, so please, keep posting. I'll keep going if you like, but it's just the thread villain toying with you now.

It is fun though that these threads cause you people to not only keep coming back, but also search me out online! You're infatuated with me- and that is the definition of a lightening rod character. Spend more of your time checking me out. Share with your friends. Make me your new obsession- Oops, too late! I own you!

CarterManGod

Post by CarterManGod » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:02 pm

And you can call me Carter Mann, Black Thunder or Daddy- at least I'm not hiding. As far as Jackie staying on at that station- it's because she has nothing else, nor will she. My PD, one of the more worthless one's was also fired from the station with me. Budget killed me again- that's all. I would never get canned from mornings and go to liner jocking Middays like a chump. I'd rather just switch careers.

As for radio in general, I can't stand the stupidity. Too many non-grads making decisions on a high school diploma, and too many execs just squeezing it dry before it dies. I mean, I guess I'd take one more gig- maybe, but I'll be finishing my second college degree now and within 2 years I'll be making more than you have in your entire twenty year career within a real industry. You're all black and white tv repairmen... You have to know that.

CarterManGod

Post by CarterManGod » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:12 pm

CarterManGod wrote:And you can call me Carter Mann, Black Thunder or Daddy- at least I'm not hiding. As far as Jackie staying on at that station- it's because she has nothing else, nor will she. My PD, one of the more worthless one's was also fired from the station with me. Budget killed me again- that's all. I would never get canned from mornings and go to liner jocking Middays like a chump. I'd rather just switch careers.

As for radio in general, I can't stand the stupidity. Too many non-grads making decisions on a high school diploma, and too many execs just squeezing it dry before it dies. I mean, I guess I'd take one more gig- maybe, but I'll be finishing my second college degree now and within 2 years I'll be making more than you have in your entire twenty year career within a real industry. You're all black and white tv repairmen... You have to know that.

...there! Saved ya the trouble!