5 jobs for one salary - Really?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
Lysalove

5 jobs for one salary - Really?

Post by Lysalove » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:57 pm

After reading a job posting by CC in the Greenville, SC market I'm wondering when the new employee is supposed to sleep and prep for the morning show. Why are these companies stating that you should be able to do this and that when it would be easier to just say you will be new the Morning Person, Promotions Assistant and Programming Assistant. I can only imagine what this job and others like it are paying.

The radio companies are saving money, meanwhile they are are turning those working in the radio industries into modern day slaves. Good luck to the person that get's hired for that gig. And those that follow. :roll:

ronnie2057

Re: 5 jobs for one salary - Really?

Post by ronnie2057 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:31 am

My 102.5 was once tops in BOTH the Greenville, Spartanburg market AND the Asheville, N.C. market. It has probably the best signal in the market with the tower in Hendersonville, N.C. between BOTH metro markets.

They had a great morning show with "Love and Hudson" but that was "too much money" for Clear Channel. Wow! That really worked out well for them, didn't it?

Clear Channel probably should look at putting on a syndicated show. Bob and Sherry would work.

datwood

Post by datwood » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:05 pm

@lysalove

It's called "do more, with less"...it's been the corporate mantra since 1996.

"Meet the new boss...same as the old boss..."
~ P. Townshend

cuddzu

Post by cuddzu » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:17 pm

Bob and Sheri are already in the market, WLNK makes it to GSP,
Thank You
All Access Moderator

spokesgoddess

Post by spokesgoddess » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:07 am

When I was starting out in a small market I worked the morning show and was the promotions director. I also worked as the morning co-host, news director, public affiars director and did production for another station years later (and this was in the 90's). Call it luck or divine intervention, I'm back on the air 15 years later (after a 4 year hiatus), in a smaller market, one hat and one owner. Go figure.

tstone

Post by tstone » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:30 am

I call that awesome, spokesgoddess.

jjenkins

Post by jjenkins » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:54 pm

I call that a dead-end career. 15 years later and you are in a SMALLER market? Way to go! LMAO

CarterManGod

Post by CarterManGod » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:21 pm

So bitter and jealous. I call it awesome too! If you can follow your dreams, you're one of the lucky ones.

For those of us who -it wasn't our life's dream- we should congratulate and support you, and move on. But some, who's name's aren't even worth speaking (mainly because they are forgettable anyway), come here to pout, cry & insult like babies because their dream was taken away from them- most likely justifiably.

Goddess, I'm happy for you- keep up the good work! Your positivity is an inspiration. Radio needs more like you, and less whiny bitch boys like you know who. Your employment, and his unemployment, actually, serve as proof that the 'higher ups' ARE making, at least some, good decisions afterall.

spokesgoddess

Post by spokesgoddess » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:34 am

Thanks, Carter. And I don't take offense, what I posted is just a nibble on my biscuit. I was "let go" from CC in a major market when I was 8 months pregnant. Managed to hold it together for 4 years doing voiceover and teaching at CSB. When this job came up less than 2 hours away, I jumped at the chance and put everything I had into landing the gig. And I couldn't be happier. I still have all my clients from my VO career and there's plenty of work here in that arena. I have several other irons in the fire and always have. Radio is a wonderful career if you can make it. But I've always known it was fickle. So you enjoy it while you can and make sure to have a backup plan.

I come here to share and learn. If that isn't forthcoming from other posters, whatever. AllAccess has been a great resource for me over the years as it has been for others. So here's to a profitable 2012 and to following and living your dreams, whatever they may be!

Courtney

bjamesww

Post by bjamesww » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:31 pm

It reminds me of Hedberg's comedy bit..."Hey you're a funny guy. Can you farm?"