Snail mail? Really?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
teckstuff

Snail mail? Really?

Post by teckstuff » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:50 pm

There are actually managers that still insist on getting snail mailed Resume/Demo's? My God! It's almost 2010! Sorry, I had to rant...

Steve
On The Beach
http://www.facebook.com/stevenroyradio

rowdyron

Re: Snail mail? Really?

Post by rowdyron » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:12 pm

They just want to see a package put together.

I know jocks that just copy and paste things to each company not taking the time to even write a cover letter. I think that sending a package today shows initiative. The only thing that I don't agree with is the cost of postage for each of these.

teckstuff

Post by teckstuff » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:43 pm

I agree it's important to take the time to state why you feel you are qualified for the job. Considering most don't send a response, I no longer mail packages. It would be nice to get a "thanks but no thanks". Some managers do let you know you "don't have the sound they're looking for", etc.

Since I have been in management, I know it's difficult to respond to 100 or more applicants. Our policy was to respond personally only to those interviewed. For the rest, we sent out postcards thanking them for applying.

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:17 am

That's interesting, I would've thought that managers would vastly prefer the ease of visiting a web-site or Facebook page, and listening to demos online rather than waiting for a package to arrive in the mail. That really seems regressive to me.

KOOL Listener Lauren

Post by KOOL Listener Lauren » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:05 pm

I would think "snail mail" might be more professional, as long as you don't B.S. copy/paste.

I'm applying for a part-time foot in the door job, and while it's not an on-air position so I have no demo to send, I have the choice of either mailing or emailing my cover letter/resume.

I chose to mail it. I think it'd be taken more seriously. They've got a physical copy of my information-- and it'll be around, unlike an email or website-- close out of the page and poof, it's gone.

jjenkins

Post by jjenkins » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:44 pm

LOL, only idiots send expensive FedEx packages to these sloppy, inconsiderate PD's. Don't waste your money. Send an email with a brief bio and an Mp3 demo of no longer than 2 minutes. If they can't "handle" that then they are stuck in the dark ages and not worth your time anyway.

teckstuff

Post by teckstuff » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:56 pm

Very true J! I would not work for an operation that required snail mailed packages. Some even want a completed application before considering you. I also like the snail-mailed-to-me EEO forms. Hmmm! Let me see! You turned me down for the job, you want me fill out your form, put it in the envelope, lick the flap, close it, then take it to the nearest mail box to send back to you? Yea right! ;-)

teckstuff

Post by teckstuff » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:58 am

I see managers are still posting job openings wanting snail mailed packages. If I was in radio management, I wouldn't hire someone that couldn't e-mail their package. This shows someone is computer illiterate. Would you want to work for someone like that?

Waste of money? Yes!

teckstuff

Post by teckstuff » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:40 pm

I especially like when I receive an EEO form from a station I've already been turned down for. Oh yeah! Let me get right on that! LOL!

teckstuff

Post by teckstuff » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:30 am

Another snail mail request from the "Portland Mornings" post. I find it interesting they want you to be totally digital literate, then you have to actually put postage on an envelope to mail your stuff.