Even Losing Teams Have Cheerleaders

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
gbarn

Post by gbarn » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:09 am

Bob Pittman is a very good bus driver who boasts a near perfect record. He would be my choice to navigate the runaway trolley down the complex and confusing downhill landscape of San Francisco's infamous "Long And Winding Road," called Lombard Street. I know he'd slam his feet on the pavement ala Fred Flintstone to stop a runaway street car in the "City By The Bay." Alternatively, he might be prevailed upon to guide the tragic Costa Concordia to safe harbor. He's a solution in search of a problem - he's a Superman!

How do I know this, you ask? When I turn to Pitt, I see Mitt who promises to arrest the rampant King Kong of bloated government & bureaucracy and move it into intervention followed by rehab, then again lead America to prosperity, grace and manna from Heaven. Looking at Pitt and not seeing a mini-Mitt is like looking at a Tebow and not seeing a Unitas.

Let's ponder Pitt's daring move to de-emphasize radio behind digital, TV and other entertainment. Clear Channel set the standard for broadcast operations years ago. If radio follows Clear Channel's current path we might well expect the old locomotive called radio to hit the end of the rail earlier than anticipated.

Does your company's plans include TV? Do they include a major digital platform, alternative entertainment or any media on the scale of Clear Channel's? No, I hear you concede? Clear Channel's moral high ground just collapsed under the ruin below its corporate feet, as it were, of local radio. And thereby, the vision of your landscape just widened - greatly. There's a good chance right now that YOU are radio's greatest believer and champion in your market. You. Your very next move should be to take this shiny 'thang' radio has always embraced because radio itself has just been polished and handed to you on a nice shiny, silver, platter.

Go on... get down and do a fulsome solemn Tebow. Thank you Jesus, thank the Big Disc Jockey in the sky as you kneel before Him while Stairway to Heaven or Ave Maria keep you company as you wait to make your Hail Mary connection to the Lord and Savior. I encourage you to task your team to huddle, to plan touchdowns, scramble, find open receivers, then serve up a reasonably catchable pass and carry it on to the end zone.

To Pitt, whom I respect for his many great accomplishments, I say thanks for removing the strangle hold over radio. You were a great broadcaster, an innovator, and no one's better positioned to move Clear Channel into a bold future. More than anything else, thank you for giving radio back to radio.

It's time for real, devoted radio people, those individuals who've dedicated a lifetime to its service, those who toil to meet a payroll, who seek pride in their sound. In short, it's simply time to re-commit to the promotion of radio's greatest asset, its people.

Go Bubba!
Last edited by gbarn on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.

liftfm

Re: Clear Channel Says Radio Sits In The Back Of The Bus

Post by liftfm » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:19 pm

You are right that some big media would like it to be the year of Pitt and Mitt. Let's see - Mitt reigns over Bain Capital which owns Clear Channel which owns Premiere Radio Networks which hire all the conservative talkers that support just so happen to support Mitt so that Bain Capital will benefit which means Clear Channel gets lots more money which benefits Premiere Radio Networks and the talkers get to brown nose their bosses for more raises .. No coincidence that everyone from Savage to Hannity from Limbaugh to the rest support Romney. And that my friends is how our corrupt system in America works.

gbarn

Put On Your Thinking Helmet...

Post by gbarn » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:35 pm

AA II EE YY OO WW - What comes next? ________
Last edited by gbarn on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.

gbarn

Post by gbarn » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:28 pm

Great radio to me has always been like a provocative dream during the day.
Last edited by gbarn on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gbarn

Post by gbarn » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:44 pm

Like the trucking industry losing its tires, a fighter pilot losing his vision, or a Super Bowl quarterback losing his balls, some feel that radio sounds like it's lost its ears.

vizsla

Re: Even Losing Teams Have Cheerleaders

Post by vizsla » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:33 am

if you're looking at tebow and seeing unitas, i hafta ask what're you smokin'?

gbarn

Post by gbarn » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:32 pm

Johnny Unitas was an exceptional quarterback. He united fans; I was always in front of the TV on Sunday's when the Colts were on, in expectation of another great throw/catch to Raymond Berry. He played with fire, determination, great leadership abilities, and didn't whine about personal injuries.

Tim Tebow will be an exceptiional quarterback. He unites followers in ways that go way beyond the traditional fan boundaries. He plays with fire, determination, great leadership, and doesn't whine about anything.

When I see Tebow, I see the spirit of Unitas.

gbarn

Post by gbarn » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:18 pm

I learned about Whitney's death on the Weather Channel.

CarterManGod

Post by CarterManGod » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:45 pm

Tebow unites bible thumpers- not sports fans. He is a trend for it too.

gbarn

Post by gbarn » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:29 pm

I understand what you're saying. Being in Mile High Stadium when Tebow is playing is almost like being inside the tent of a fundamentalist church revival in the deep south. Rockin! And more fun than sitting through most $15 movies. However, no argument from this side, it's very clear to understand how he can be a divider. I would like to see a team someday that is comprised of 11 players on the field at the same time that posses his will and determination. It would be "super!"