"Caller driven radio" bores the hell out of me

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
mmore

"Caller driven radio" bores the hell out of me

Post by mmore » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:31 am

I know I'm going against established orthodoxy here but I'm wondering if I'm alone on this.

As a radio fan, and before I got into the business, I always hated it when my favorite hosts did their "open mic" hours. Even as a kid I saw that for what it was -- a cheap way to fill time. As the listener, I was tuning in to hear the HOST not the public. There is (or should be) a reason why that guy is behind the mic and not Jake from Nowhereville who wants to launch into a 4 minute incoherent monologue on something only loosely related to the topic at hand.

Of course there are also the hosts who turn every show into an "open mic" hour. Honestly I think these people are hacks. It sounds great to hide behind the mantra of "I want to hear what YOU have to say" but that's just a thin veil used to cover the fact that the HOST apparently has jack sh*t to say. These types of "hosts" run their show like they're working at a call center. It's boring. Plain and simple.

Now that I'm in the business I try not to let phone calls BE my show. I take calls, I let people say what they want to say, then I move on. I make it quick and snappy. I'm not going to let one person eat up 5 minutes of precious air time. I'll make a rare exception when the person on the phone IS actually entertaining and interesting. But you and I both know this is a RARE occurence.

What do you think? Shouldn't all radio shows be "host driven radio"?

bjamesww

Re: "Caller driven radio" bores the hell out of me

Post by bjamesww » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:09 pm

I agree. There's been too much value placed on the caller. I agree with "turning the mirror on the listener" philosophy but that's up to the "talented" hosts 20/20 vision of the human condition around him, and his having the vocabulary, intellect, humor and wit to deliver on that. Tangible "sticky" moments that made me want to be a dj NEVER came from a phone bit.

dwc151

Post by dwc151 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:54 pm

A pretty successful guy that gets badmouthed a lot on radio forums always said it best on this topic: A host should be prepared to do his or her entire show without calls. You never know when the old Telos is going to die. Callers are important to many formats, but they are but a tool to be used by the host to entertain or inform the audience. Note that this doesn't mean that the host shouldn't take calls from people who challenge him. But it is his show, and all challenges to whatever point he's making should be framed in a way that remains interesting. This could mean a civil discussion, or it could mean yelling at the caller. Different strokes for different hosts.

thecheese

Post by thecheese » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:53 am

Caller driven radio doesn't bore me if the host is actually a HOST and not just a board op relying on callers to provide content in between music and live reads.

thecheese

Post by thecheese » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:02 pm

I think the OP should post a link to their show so we can hear it.