Company check up is so important

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
jwebb

Company check up is so important

Post by jwebb » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Just when i thought the days of shady broadcasters was over, I get a job in the upper midwest. I was hired by these people last week, and upon my arrival I submitted my receipts for moving expenses. They hee hawed around and wouldnt pay me. They were supposed to give me 30 days accomodations and they didnt do this either. They then tried to pay me 8 grand less than we had agreed on and when I spoke up against their actions they fired me. I will not name names here but if you want to know who they are, go ahead and shoot me an email. I am faithful that good people still exist in this business.

mockspeed

Re: Company check up is so important

Post by mockspeed » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:16 pm

I sure hope you have some kind of E Mail or letter of agreement from these crooks. If
you do seek legal help ASAP. If not you still may have a case, It sounds like they lured you
out of state to a job with the promise of temporary lodging, travel expenses, and a set salary
then changed it upon arrival. That is criminal action. What is your plan?

thecheese

Re: Company check up is so important

Post by thecheese » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:03 pm

That's why a contract is so important.

Something signed by both parties that outline who is liable for what with specific dollar amounts.. lodging for up to X days or reimbursement for such and such expense up to X amount of dollars. Then you have something actionable.

A few emails back and forth don't amount to a hill of beans in a court of law.

I realize radio is a here today gone tomorrow kind of industry, and not many companies want to sign a contract on an unknown commodity, or an out of state personality who might have gotten big numbers in one market, but could tank in another.. I get that.. but when you're moving from state to state and the station offers to reimburse or pay for your relocating expenses, you gotta get it in paper.

Or you could end up in a new state, broke, with no job.

It sucks that there are people out there like that.. but you hear about people getting bent over like that by shifty employers all the time.

Hopefully it's in a decent market that Clear Channel hasn't swallowed up yet.