Clear Channel....

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
pdjobs91462

Re: Clear Channel....

Post by pdjobs91462 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:36 am

Ask yourself this. Are you happy where you're at? Do they take good care of you? Do you earn a good living. If the answer to those questions is yes, then don't go. I left a great job and took a job in a bigger market (Cumulus) and a little over a year later I was a RIF victim.

tvguy2

Post by tvguy2 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:54 am

"Stockholm Syndrome" -- quoting an earlier poster -- may actually be an apt description of what it's like to work for CC. Many of their managers bitch just as much as the rank and file staff -- albeit privately -- about how "Clear Channel Is Ruining Radio." Also, there's a huge concern in what's left of the middle management in the company that come 2013, when some of the payments come due, as well as 2014 (same story). There's still a mentality of "they can only cut so far" within many CC stations (probably most) before the whole company becomes top heavy with no discernible local product to present.

At which point, they become Pandora, and the terrestrial sticks do them no good.

Honestly, I believe this: if you can get to CC AND you have a chance at surviving what will become of CC in the next two to four years -- do it. But only if you can almost guarantee your survival. What will happen will not be pretty for either CC or for radio in general, and I don't think anyone knows what that is -- even Pittman and Hogan. The true decision-making power at CC is at Bain -- and the employees acknowledge it.

But that's a hard proposition -- survival. Could mean spinoffs. Could mean complete walkaway ops in major markets where the spots, imaging and all the content is inserted from elsewhere, with no local shows or even local voicetracking. Could mean sales of stations. Could mean all of the above.

Probably means all of the above.

Last time I worked for CC, I decided it might not be the last time I worked for CC. And that's still true. For the right offer, I'd go back, but I'm pretty ensconced now where I am, so it's not too likely.

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:43 pm

Your chances of being out on your A$$ in 6 months to a year are pretty good anywhere in radio today. "Back in the day" our chances of being out on our A$$es in 6 months to 2 years were pretty good. The one year difference, and fewer opportunities are about all that have changed.

Years ago I regarded CC as the essence of evil, and in fact they were. Nowadays they seem to have an appreciation for how their Hell-bent acquisition phase for everything from radio stations (no matter where, no matter how over priced) to outdoor, to concert venues has essentially strangled them. They're a bloated behemoth, with no practical way of shedding the excess blubber.

Bottom line, as the current operators go they're no better or no worse. Unfortunately, that's not saying much.