Experience!

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
tootall

Experience!

Post by tootall » Thu May 03, 2012 7:33 am

I'm a newbee, entry level, looking to get my chance. How do I get the experience everybody wants?
I'm no dummy! I know what is expected and can do it! A lot of PD's say they like my stuff, BUT I don't have the experience. HEY how do I get it!!! All I am asking for is a chance! Are you afraid that I am going to screw up! News Flash! everybody does! even people who have been on the radio for years!
It goes without saying that I will do my very best. I love the idea of being on the radio and want to do it.
I'm not going to say I am better than anyone else, I just want to be like them, my radio brothers (and sisters). Just want the chance!
TooTall

KaseyKruz

Re: Experience!

Post by KaseyKruz » Fri May 04, 2012 1:34 am

Contact your local community station and get in there. I worked for free at a small AM station for a few months before I got my first paying gig. Just remember, don't limit yourself to just the type of radio you want to do. Keep your options open by looking at anything that will get you in the door. I was playing Big Band and Music of Your Life when I got my start then moved on to a Top 40 station from there.
Desire is the biggest component of your career and you seem to have that by asking for advice. Keep the ego out and the willingness to learn up front and you'll find what you're looking for. Good luck to ya!

thecheese

Post by thecheese » Sun May 06, 2012 2:10 pm

I say put together demos that showcase your strengths, and send 'em in. It doesn't cost you a penny to eMail a program director a copy of your resume, a short MP3, and a cover letter that expresses what you've told us here: That you really have the drive and desire to do radio.

Just understand that your first gig in radio might not be hosting your own show.. and it might not be in your preferred format.. and it might even be kind of far from your home.. but that first gig is important, because every minute you spend in a station is one more minute of real life, practical experience you can put on a resume.

Don't expect a lot of help from anyone in the biz.. and don't expect many of the PD's to even acknowledge the fact you sent them anything. Most PD's are slammed with hundreds of applicants, so you really can't expect them to send a "thanks but no thanks" to every Joe or Jane Wannabe that submits their materials.

Then you have some PD's that are just self absorbed, soulless dicks who forgot what it was like to be a guy with a dream, and how much a simple, "Here's what you could work on.. keep at it, and best of luck!" means to a person,

Finally, while the radio biz is kind of a here today gone tomorrow kind of beast, a PD might be hesitant to bring in a green guy (or gal) just to find out after a week or two that while it looked good on paper, a job in radio just isn't the right fit for them.

That, and keep in mind that radio doesn't pay squat unless you're in a larger market morning show. If you're spinning big band favorites in between the farm reports out in BFE or even a mid market weekender, expect to get paid something just a hair above minimum wage.

Jobs are out there.. they're just not nearly as many as there used to be.. and there are way more people who want a shot at the mic than there are chairs.

I was in the same spot you're in a few years ago.. I had the dream and the drive, just seemed impossible to find a PD willing to take a shot on an unknown commodity.

I remember that first call from a PD saying they wanted me to come in for an interview.. out in the middle of nowhere paying next to nothing.. on a low power AM station.. I literally jumped up in the air and shouted when I hung up the phone.

So keep the faith, and remember.. even if you absolutely suck.. even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.

partyshark

Post by partyshark » Mon May 07, 2012 4:59 am

thecheese wrote: So keep the faith, and remember.. even if you absolutely suck.. even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.
cartermandweeb is proof of that

tootall

Post by tootall » Mon May 07, 2012 7:23 am

I have done a lot of what you suggested, volunteered at a internet radio station, paid to be on the air and even tried starting my own business. I don't think I suck! is that ego? I think my problem is many may see me as too old! I don't want a 30 year plus career! I think that's past! But I still got a lot of very good years left in me. I think I would be great, because I have worked for years in one place and know what is expected. I'm just an old vet, both from the military and the work force. Don't discriminate because of age. Just want a chance to prove it.

thecheese

Post by thecheese » Mon May 07, 2012 2:08 pm

You PAID to be on the radio? What was that all about?

Do you have any material we can check out posted online? How old are you? Do you have a particular format in mind?

I mean, if you sound like Paul Harvey, I wouldn't bother sending materials to Urban or AC stations.. but a.. distinguished sounding voice would fit well with country, classic country, talk stations, oldies, and maybe even classic rock.

boing

Post by boing » Sat May 12, 2012 11:49 am

...."why would a station want a 55 yr old guy - even for free - when their target audience is females 25-44? And there were and still are tons of younger radio types who would do the job."

EXPERIENCE!! 55 year old guy been there done that likely has kids in that coveted demo. Meanwhile. a younger person,, is still wrapped up in their own life style and doesn't have the life experiences to relate to that female demo. Radio is SOOO much more than social media content. Just an opinion. We differ.

tootall

Post by tootall » Tue May 15, 2012 11:23 am

Paying for time on the internet radio, is paying for two hours to do a show. Most are once a week and the station fits you into a time slot. The shows are just about anything, most are about sports and talk.
Mine I shared with a guy and he did local high school sports and country music. My hour part was about hit music history, like I did a segment about MoTown, British invasion and pyschodelic rock.
A lot of guys and gals were getting into it and the board was almost full most of the time. It's a big city thing and probably would not work in some small town. The station even had people coming from out of the area.