Radio's not so bad.. the game has just changed..

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
kendallweaver

Radio's not so bad.. the game has just changed..

Post by kendallweaver » Fri May 11, 2012 6:26 am

Here's a excerpt from my book "The American DJ," (Search for "Kendall Weaver" at Amazon)
Great interviews with Adam Carolla, John tesh, Time Moore, Jaye Albright, and more.
From Chapter 12:
Radio folk like to say that stations are not doing as well as in the past because corporations killed all the local content, they need to do a better job, etc. I’m here to tell you; the playing field has changed. There are WAY more options for listening to and viewing and reading content than just 10 years ago, and that is what’s changed the game. Even if the show was MASH, and most people who saw it liked it, if it’s one of four choices it’s going to do better than when it’s one of 200, 500, a thousand choices. Radio needs to stop worrying about arguing it’s place in the world, and work to make sure it has one.
People in radio also like to say; “They said satellite radio would kill terrestrial radio and it hasn’t.” But the truth is, satellite radio took a few listeners away. The MP3 player took another few, and the internet took even a few more. And as automakers start selling cars with the ability to stream audio from the web, there will be a few more gone. And finally, if you can listen to your own choices of music on something like Pandora.com, and you can do it from your smart phone, well we just lost a few more, right? Now look at the scenario; A few, plus a few, plus a few… is a lot.
When I taught school, every quarter I would ask my students what stations they listened to. In the past, they might have rambled off the pop station or the rock station. Now, the majority of them couldn’t answer the question, because they found their music online and by just sharing between their friends, and just didn’t listen to the radio.
Again, just to make the point, a lot of radio companies filed for bankruptcy protection in 2008 and 2009, and in 2010 were bragging that they were doing better. Better than bad is not necessarily good. I’m not saying they won’t survive, but the reality is that the challenge will get harder for terrestrial radio. But it’s not that they all of a sudden started doing things wrong… the way the world listens just changed."
I'm at radiokendall@yahoo and look forward to your thoughts.

boing

Re: Radio's not so bad.. the game has just changed..

Post by boing » Sat May 12, 2012 10:20 am

Funny thing about options such as Pandora, and that is they program to what you MIGHT like. Off the top of my head I can think of dozens of Top 40 hits over the years that are unavailable on Pandora. So much for sharing titles with your friends and "their" suggestions are never close to what I asked for.

One reason the "Way the world listens changed", is that the industry CHOSE to change the presentation, and the FCC was responsible for killing local competition by loosening ownership rules. Now, Five CC stations compete in a market with Four Cumulus stations and Three CBS stations. leaving the local market with poor signal AMs of niche FMs. Rush here vs Beck there and syndicated morning show out of Here vs syndicated morning show from There, and VTs vs VTs sure isn't compelling local content. Maybe that's one of the reasons your class isn't listening to the radio.

How many people are losing their jobs THIS November?

Spanky74

Post by Spanky74 » Sun May 13, 2012 8:47 am

I'm glad radio is dying, it deserves to. Its death is self-inflicted, here's hoping listenership continues to plummet to record breaking lows that relegate mainstream radio to complete irrelevancy.

jdpig

Post by jdpig » Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Spanky74 wrote:I'm glad radio is dying, it deserves to. Its death is self-inflicted, here's hoping listenership continues to plummet to record breaking lows that relegate mainstream radio to complete irrelevancy.
Bitter much? Radio will be fine when it finds it's way back to it's purpose. Communicating locally about LOCAL events with your LOCAL audience in a way that makes you stand out will always be of value to the listener. Radio stations that are nothing more than a juke box with someone reading liner cards is a thing of the past and thank the radio gods for it. If you can relate to the LOCAL audience and show an emotional attachment to the music you are playing... You will win, and radio will endure.

parocks

Post by parocks » Sun May 20, 2012 1:38 pm

jdpig wrote:
Spanky74 wrote:I'm glad radio is dying, it deserves to. Its death is self-inflicted, here's hoping listenership continues to plummet to record breaking lows that relegate mainstream radio to complete irrelevancy.
Bitter much? Radio will be fine when it finds it's way back to it's purpose. Communicating locally about LOCAL events with your LOCAL audience in a way that makes you stand out will always be of value to the listener. Radio stations that are nothing more than a juke box with someone reading liner cards is a thing of the past and thank the radio gods for it. If you can relate to the LOCAL audience and show an emotional attachment to the music you are playing... You will win, and radio will endure.

Don't you mean playing LOCAL music? That's the problem. Well, not that there isn't enough LOCAL music, but that most of what's on the radio tends to suck. It is easier than ever before to get music without the radio, and so people do. I root for formerly LOCAL bands that I know. I root for them to reach the top of these charts here. Everyone else on these charts has a strike against them for even being on these charts. The music that I listen to rarely appears on these charts. But if something I do listen to does appear on these charts, I typically root for them as well. The first exposure to an act should not be through the radio. Because people these days pretty much know that the music on the radio is not good.

I've had industry professional remind me that sucky music is part of the effective radio formula. Stupid listeners don't want interesting music. Interesting music increases the risk of someone changing the channel, and that's the worst possible thing that can happen. Dull sucky major label crap though can be mixed with more dull sucky LOCAL crap, though, I would think. Every radio market has at least 10 mediocre active rock bands that can arguably compete with the slightly more competent major label active rock bands.

jimwalsh

Post by jimwalsh » Wed May 30, 2012 11:35 pm

I think it's more accurate to say the biz was never that good...

vadlamudimohan

Post by vadlamudimohan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:31 pm

I'm glad radio is dying, it deserves to. Its death is self-inflicted
thanks for the post
web development company