Have a happy day!

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
pbergin

Have a happy day!

Post by pbergin » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:14 pm

I have finally decided to put an end to my long and arduous daily commute... 1 1/2 hours each way to DC and back... and packed it in on over 50 years in the work-a-day world. I am now officially retired!

I started at age 13 playing drums on a live, Saturday Morning Country music show. I then became a studio musician in Detroit, a traveling rock-n-roller and, by the time I was 15 I was working 6nights a week in clubs.

I joined the Air Force and worked on the AGM-28b "Hound Dog" missile for 4 years. After my discharge I spent 35 years in full-time radio in markets such as New York, L.A., DC, Detroit, Toronto, Baltimore and Tucson. I met and worked with some seriously great people during that period. Some assholes too, but I've basically forgotten them.

I was fortunate in that I was able to leave radio just as it was turning south, and spent the last 12 years in the IT field as a systems and network admin.

Now I get to sit on my porch, drink beer and yell "GET OFF MY LAWN" to the neighborhood kids. I'm looking forward to it.

Other than TV promos and voice-over I don't plan on doing any broadcast related work from here on, but who knows, if someone was desperate they might want me on board. I doubt it though, I have a "my way or the highway" reputation. So be it, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Have a happy life, keep it tight and bright and ALWAYS know at least two jobs.

Scott Carpenter
(Patrick Bergin)

spokesgoddess

Re: Have a happy day!

Post by spokesgoddess » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:43 am

Congrats, Scott....enjoy!

mrrnb

Re: Have a happy day!

Post by mrrnb » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:29 am

Scott, I have enjoyed reading your posts and am happy that you're leaving the workforce on your terms. Enjoy retirement, you've earned it! --mrrnb