Note to AA re: Alan Burns

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
ronnie2057

Re: Note to AA re: Alan Burns

Post by ronnie2057 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:34 pm

Dates were reset. I joined way before 2009. I'm sure it was easier and quicker to not store, then restore the join dates for the rebuild.

Alan Burns is a class guy. Judge him by his ratings/revenue success with client stations. That should be the measurement.

halltalk

Post by halltalk » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:31 am

Ronnie - Not that it matters when any of us "joined" but I'm glad you backed me up on the date thing. I am not getting senile - altho a career in broadcasting can give one a head start.

I won't argue your take on Mr. Burns. I will say I don't understand how revenue or any of that has a bearing on anyone being a "class guy". As you know - all of us have folks who think we're hot stuff and others who think a bit less of us. My dealings with him - along with a few other compatriots - was less than wonderful. But even if he were the radio version of Sister Theresa, week after week of seeing his astounding research on the AA splash page gets old. All I would like is the simple disclaimer "paid advertisement" in tiny font at the top of each amazing report. Kind of like TV - "paid spokesperson".

No big deal. I hope he continues to make a bajillion bucks and I'm pleased to be very far away from anything to do with him professionally.

thecheese

Post by thecheese » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:49 am

I like how you guys get into a two page dick swinging competition about who has been on here longer, like that is relevant to whether Alan Burns knows his ass from a hole in the ground or not.

"I remember when All Access was just a single line BBS run on an Apple II that I had to Telnet into, back in '86."

From what I gather, Alan Burns is like the Nickleback of the radio programming world.

Sorry I was busy being on the radio, and missed his big All Access blitz. Guess I should check it out.

ronnie2057

Post by ronnie2057 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:07 pm

Consultants are paid to provide advice and a perspective gained from their years of experience and the experiences of their client stations. The "Wiki" mindset.

I've seen station management blindly follow every word of the consultant and I've seen situations where the relationship was like a board discussion where the program director made the call.

You must learn to be a diplomat to get things done.

The ultimate yard stick is ratings/revenue. You must have BOTH to succeed. Great Arbitron numbers and horrid Miller_Kaplan numbers get you canned as a market manager, or sales manager.

But, show me a station that leads in Miller_Kaplan WITHOUT great Arbitron numbers and there won't be any programming consultants around to claim credit for THAT!
halltalk wrote:Ronnie - Not that it matters when any of us "joined" but I'm glad you backed me up on the date thing. I am not getting senile - altho a career in broadcasting can give one a head start.

I won't argue your take on Mr. Burns. I will say I don't understand how revenue or any of that has a bearing on anyone being a "class guy". As you know - all of us have folks who think we're hot stuff and others who think a bit less of us. My dealings with him - along with a few other compatriots - was less than wonderful. But even if he were the radio version of Sister Theresa, week after week of seeing his astounding research on the AA splash page gets old. All I would like is the simple disclaimer "paid advertisement" in tiny font at the top of each amazing report. Kind of like TV - "paid spokesperson".

No big deal. I hope he continues to make a bajillion bucks and I'm pleased to be very far away from anything to do with him professionally.

chomen

Post by chomen » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:17 pm

I'd like to see Alan Burns explanation for the failure of Movin in LA since he was the programmer behind it. Such an explanation would help All Access to provide balance and fairness. You know, instead of just printing everyone's press releases without serious analysis or comment. "How dare you be negative" is old and tired -- just stop calling it news and tell us it's from a publicity seeking consultant who tenaciously courts the radio business media.

tvguy2

Post by tvguy2 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:35 pm

Oh, Alan doesn't fail. You should know that. And I'm also getting honked at AllAccess taking Burns' utterances as gospel. I just blow by those articles.