In a world without Clear Channel

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
kellybgood

In a world without Clear Channel

Post by kellybgood » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:08 am

Someone was talking to me the other day about what it would be like if all stations were privately owned in their cities. It got me thinking and really made things interesting. How would the music industry of today have been altered by a wide range of privately owned stations. Where websites were designed independently, music was actually up to the MD and PD, and all this flip flopping of stations wasn't quite as abundant.
I've been thinking about writing a book about this but wanted to see if anyone would be interested on the topic. If so let me know and send your support!!

Thanks,
Kelly

puente

Re: In a world without Clear Channel

Post by puente » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:02 am

Kelly, That's they way it USE to be, pride in the product, competition, it was FUN before consolidation.....

spearman

Post by spearman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:34 pm

It would be good for radio, records and good for the FUTURE of the biz. Competition is ALWAYS good and you'd see $$ come back into the biz.

neqquah

Post by neqquah » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:12 pm

That's how it used to be. Radio was MUCH, MUCH better before Clear Channel consolidated it. This is especially true for Urban radio.

jayx

Post by jayx » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:39 pm

There is absolutely NO REASON why our medium cannot go back to being the creative, compelling, useful entertainment and information powerhouse it once was.

I'm so sick of hearing all of these money-grubbing corporate asshole drones trying to sell me on the idea that 'radio is dead' thus the need to consolidate, save money, and run things as cheaply as possible. BULL. As a result of that mindset, too much media power these days has ended up in the hands of too few people. It's no wonder people are bored with radio and the record industry - nobody simply gives a damn anymore about quality programming and listener enjoyment and they just wanna sit behind their desks and fret over their P&L sheets. These days, the real passion in our biz and for our biz is all but gone, sucked dry thanks to the Mays's of the world.

I think the renaissance for our biz is long overdue. You know what it's gonna take? It's real simple. Just one station or one group, just one guy with real decision making authority to finally stand up and say "Screw this. We're gonna do things OUR WAY." "We're gonna give people a real reason to listen again... We're gonna be dedicated, we're gonna love what we do and the community we do it for, and we're gonna do it every damned day with REAL PEOPLE, RIGHT HERE." They're gonna find creative and enthusiastic people who want to succeed and give them the tools they need to make a great product. That place will stand out, get noticed, and take the lead. Soon you will see others following suit. And, slowly but surely, the trend will take root and grow. There will be plenty of good things to sell. And you'll see plenty of jobs come back.

No, it won't be cheap - but, what is? The real question is - who's gonna be brave enough to start the fire?

jace

Post by jace » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:57 pm

That was called radio pre-1996. The Telecommunications Act destroyed all that...
Last edited by jace on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tstone

Post by tstone » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:37 pm

Radio returning to this is the only way it will achieve anything resembling cultural relevance again. It's not about technology, it's about people falling for the alternate technologies when the moneybags thought they could run radio on the cheap.

jayester

Post by jayester » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:51 pm

A world without Clear Channel would be a good start to returning to the localization of the medium. Why not lump consultants into that pool as well?

racinrandy

Post by racinrandy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:22 am

Lets face it, you can wish all you want about "the good old days"..... you can say it's Clear Channels fault, but none of that will bring radio back to what it once was.. Fact is, the kids (yes the 12-17 year olds) don't "do" radio anymore.

as Walter Cronkite would say ...."And that's the way it is...."