Will Radio Get Worse Before it Gets Better?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
teckstuff

Re: Will Radio Get Worse Before it Gets Better?

Post by teckstuff » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:03 pm

Hey Tonya,
It is refreshing to hear from someone that "gets it"! This is exactly what separates radio from the competition. Making a difference in listener's lives every day!
Steven Roy

TheMaxPower

Post by TheMaxPower » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:33 pm

Unfortunately Radio Will get worse. A prime example is this ad now on (2/2) The Job Openings:
NEW GEN HITS - HIT RADIO TO GO NEEDS PLAYAS. Just by reading the rest of the ad will show you the kind of idiots that are running the industry. And this is just in the "Top 40" Format which is horrible, but sadly it's just as bad in far too many of the Rock and Hot AC formats. I would suspect Country is more grounded. But I don't know that for sure. Too many good people out of jobs. Too many good programmers handcuffed by dumb ass consultants as well as having far too many stations to look after. Then there is that Automation/Voice Track cancer. Remember when Dylan said "Radio And Records that's where it's at". It was a long time ago and sadly that era is Over.

onairla

Post by onairla » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:21 am

When you worry C++ is a better entertainer than your station, you've already lost. Embrace market research and create a hunger for your sound.

C++ is written by a bunch of nerds that couldn't get laid stepping off the plane in Hawaii. We know you are better than that. L

jeepfrag10

Post by jeepfrag10 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:53 am

Let's be honest with ourselves, people get their music from the internet now. That's how you get your updates about music, artists, and concerts via youtube, myspace, etc.

If you are a jock and you get song requests then that's great, but you are only holding a listener for an average of five minutes.

The solution would be to have a SHOW not a shift. I realize this is hard to do when you voice track. Plan your breaks, have your own style, give your opinion, make them laugh. Try and make the music the filler for what it is that you do. You as the talent should be the reason people listen. It's not easy, but if you can enjoy the ride and take risks then I believe things will get better before they get worse.

kendallweaver

Post by kendallweaver » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:32 am

I've enjoyed the banter after I posted this topic, and it's shown something pretty clearly; we all agree that the radio Air Talent might be the salvation. The issue is: Are the personalities in local radio good enough that you'll listen to them even if there are many alternatives offered. It's going to come down to who draws the most listenereship, and if Ryan Seacrest has superstar guest on his show, and the local guys just can't get that type of thing, that'll help decide. If there's a fire downtown in your city, you'll forgo the superstar interview to get some local traffic and info. It makes since that as has always been true, the creme will rise to the top.. but the major players at any given time will always have more revenue to fight for their share, and the small market or internet only broadcaster will have to be creative and rely on grass-roots movements type of promotion.
Luckily, the internet does provide us with a way to present ourselves with just a microphone and web cam, and "viral" videos have proven that if something is really good/funny/entertaining, it'll be passed around to millions very quickly.
It once was that 4 TV networks competed for share, and in your car, there were 12-20 radio stations. Now, and forever more, the choices are wider, more specific. There's no way around it; more choices are great for the listener.. but as content providers, we've got to have a big enough share to make a living. Radio, in the last few years, has embraced NTR (Non-Traditional Revenue) such as web-site ads, auctions, and stations merchandise , and will have to continue to do so. Wether delivered on the "air," or presented on their web-site, or in-person, talented peformers will be needed. If there are 2 Contemporary Country stations in town, the difference could very will be who has the stronger Personalities, and who packages and presents it the best.
So to conclude this random thinking outloud: Content is King. We, as Programmers and Personalities had better step it up, and remember that we're Entertainers.. and Management had better think about who they have on-board, and what their station "Talent" is offering their audience. Then realize that although you might "own" an FM signal, what you "offer" is content.. however it's consumed.. FM signal, live on the web, on-demand/podcast on the web, or live in-person events with your "Talent."
Oh, and as an aside, maybe we could work on creating better ad campaigns for our clients... but that's a whole other subject...
Thanks for listening,
Kendall Weaver

radiogeek104

Post by radiogeek104 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:43 am

So far no one's spoke of the number one competitor to time spent listening in the car. It's cell phones. More and more people would rather talk to someone on the phone than listen to audio entertainment regardless of delivery method. To me that speaks a lot to how compelling or not we are. Also makes me ponder what people turn to their phones for and how we can offer a better version of what they want.

L8NYTLOVE

Post by L8NYTLOVE » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:47 am

I REALLY HOPE SO.

L8NYTLOVE

Post by L8NYTLOVE » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:49 am

IT HAS TO..DOESNT IT?

teckstuff

Post by teckstuff » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:50 pm

Cell phones over radio? Again, great talent and content will make your listener wait to make or take that call. I know I do it. When someone is good, I wait until a break to make the call. Even on stations where I may not like the music, I wait for the talent to come on. Talent/content is what's winning now in this local, major market.

krazkid

Post by krazkid » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:10 am

I posted the following in Net News under the MTV logo change discussion. MTV decided to remove the words Music Television from the logo and are now focusing on their reality shows.

The posters who say "Radio Isn't Dead", 'Can't Beat it...Love it", etc. Are right in one way. Radio will never die. It's a great way to deliver content. However, radio as most of you currently do it is already dead. The audience is leaving because what you offer isn't as good as what they can get elsewhere.

MTV is doing what radio should be doing...Creating original programming!

MTV's audience can watch whatever video they want on demand now. No reason to sit through 2 hours of other stuff and commercials to hear/see their favorite song. Now they just go online and get it instantly...for free.

It's the same scenario as what radio is dealing with. MTV is ahead of the curve. Playing music won't be profitable anymore. Creating original programming is the only way to survive. Too bad radio is doing just the opposite.

Radio needs to change the entire platform. You can now easily listen to any radio station/stream/pandora/mp3/satellite anytime, anywhere. What sets local radio stations apart? Why should I listen to them when I can hear whatever I want whenever I want without all the commercials? Radio, as a music delivery system is a dinosaur. It's at a huge disadvantage.

It won't happen today....but in the next 10 years the FM band is going to become what the AM band is. Sports stations, Talk stations and very niche formats that all have ORIGINAL PROGRAMMING YOU CAN'T GET ANYWHERE ELSE.