Will Radio Get Worse Before it Gets Better?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
spearman

Re: Will Radio Get Worse Before it Gets Better?

Post by spearman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:35 am

How much worse can it get?? I'm like a broken record on here. Bring back the PERSONALITY (and I don't mean jocks that direct you to the station website every break) I am talking about ENTERTAINING, unpredictable, COMPELLING people that have the MAGIC to attract a listener and become the listener's friend. People remember me from every market i've worked because I was able to connect with them. I really don't think that if all I was doing was talking up the website or just giving something away that they would remember me. It ain't brain surgery folks!!!!!!!!!

teckstuff

Post by teckstuff » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:10 pm

Hey Krazkid,
Maybe you're too young to remember what MTV was. MUSIC TELEVISION = MUSIC VIDEOS. Their "content" today is absolute crap. VH-1's reality TV is cacca too! ;-)
I can't watch it! Of course most reality TV is crap. The only reason TV is doing it is because it's cheap. No talent to pay for, no writers to pay, etc.

I do agree that content is king. If you're station doesn't have great talent creating great content, you're station is dead...or deserves to die. It doesn't even seem to matter what ratings you get. I used to listen to KLSX online. Adam Carolla, Frosty Heidi and Frank, and Tom Leykis created great radio. Frosty, Heidi, and Frank had the #1 midday show in L.A., and still CBS dumped the station. Just what L.A. needed! Another Top40 station! Today's large corporations don't care about creating great radio, or having great talent. All they care about is the bottom line...which is what this entire thread is about.

Every day we read about another station dumping their talent.

wsmron

Post by wsmron » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:35 am

pbergin wrote: Terrestrial radio enjoys 100% penetration, is completely portable,and the quality is as high or higher than other delivery options. There is NO contest! Radio wins hands down.

Just put something on it worth listening to!
That last line is the problem. What you think is worth listening to and what I think is wortj listening to may exact opposites. In the "old days" it didn't matter. You played what most would like, or better yet what YOU would like and there were few other choices. People put up with songs they may not have liked because they knoew that on they did like was at most another song or two away,

Today that model doesn't work. If I don't like what you're playing I can go to the net, or if I am somewhrere internet challenged, I tap into my I-pod, that has hundreds of tunes, none of which I don't like.

What somebody needs tro do is figuring the medium's next eveolution.

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:49 am

It's not about what you play, it's about what you say.

I don't think the problem is music, radio is pretty good at determining what music people want to hear and how often. It's about what goes between the songs.

When I ride in to DC with someone listening to Steve Harvey for instance, and see them literally switch stations when a SONG COMES ON to check out what's going on with Tom Joyner, it tells me something!

Likewise when I see someone listening to Elliott In The Morning turn the radio down when he plays a song, it also tells me something.

Radio is the entertainment business, not the background music business.

krazkid

Post by krazkid » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:24 am

WSMRON:

I remember the birth of MTV very well. I graduated from high school in 1989. Back then the primary place for any music exposure was your local radio station or MTV. Radio and MTV thrived because they were delivering content you couldn't get anywhere else.

Today is a different day. Music can be consumed from many different sources, all superior to radio. Ipods, pandora, sirius/xm, cd's, internet radio, etc. MTV was smart to get rid of music videos. They have become a teen/young adult network. You and I may not like Jersey Shore, The Hills, etc. but we're not the demo. I haven't watched MTV in 5 years. But I'm a 38 year old male.

I do respect your opinion and appreciate your response.
pbergin wrote:It's not about what you play, it's about what you say.

I don't think the problem is music, radio is pretty good at determining what music people want to hear and how often. It's about what goes between the songs.

When I ride in to DC with someone listening to Steve Harvey for instance, and see them literally switch stations when a SONG COMES ON to check out what's going on with Tom Joyner, it tells me something!

Likewise when I see someone listening to Elliott In The Morning turn the radio down when he plays a song, it also tells me something.

Radio is the entertainment business, not the background music business.
Pbergin,

You're post says on one hand...
"I don't think the problem is the music"

Then you go on to talk about people listening to the personalities with passion and then turning the station or turning down the volume when a song comes on.

That was my point. Radio needs to deliver CONTENT YOU CAN'T GET ANYWHERE ELSE. Talent, or lack thereof, is the root of today's problem. If people want to hear a song, radio is the last choice on most people's lists.

Radio won't die. Unfortunately many of those running it right now won't be in charge once they drag the value of their sticks and their industry into the mud. Bankruptcies will happen. Liquidation will occur. If you think 2009 was bad for the economy wait till you see what happens in the next 2 years. When these events unfold smaller operators will buy up the individual properties and a new generation of radio will appear. A new industry that SERVES COMMUNITIES AND DELIVERS CONTENT YOU CAN'T GET ANYWHERE ELSE.

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:52 am

Well, what I meant was that it's not as if radio is playing the wrong songs. The industry has learned how to choose that aspect of content quite well. What the industry as a whole has forgotten how to do, or simply chooses not to acknowledge, is the stuff that goes in between songs.

We all remember when that was primary among programmers. Today it simply doesn't exist.

To put it bluntly... there's nobody home.

jjenkins

Post by jjenkins » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:23 am

You dolts, radio is dead already. Quit making noise in the graveyard. :lol:

winterwest

Post by winterwest » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:32 pm

Yes, jj, we see you. We see your posts. We notice you.

jjenkins

Post by jjenkins » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:37 pm

GOod now see the flashing neon, writing on the wall and recognize radio is dead. Do u still believe the horse and buggy is relevant too? LMAO

partyshark

Post by partyshark » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:42 am

Awww, looks like jjenkins needs a little affirmation.
jjenkins wrote: Do u still believe the horse and buggy is relevant too? LMAO
To the Amish it is! LMAO
jjenkins wrote:You dolts, radio is dead already. Quit making noise in the graveyard. :lol:
Who's gonna complian if we do? HAHAHA, talk about a dolt.

Hey, I got you pegged jjenkins; aka bobbyb77.