Will Radio Get Worse Before it Gets Better?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
jjenkins

Re: Will Radio Get Worse Before it Gets Better?

Post by jjenkins » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:43 pm

Okay so u admit you have the media sense of the Amish and love to just complain for no good reason. Thanks for proving my point you dolt. Bobby who? Is that your lover? LMAO.

partyshark

Post by partyshark » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:25 pm

jjenkins wrote:Okay so u admit you have the media sense of the Amish and love to just complain for no good reason. Thanks for proving my point you dolt. Bobby who? Is that your lover? LMAO.
You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer are you jenks?
I said nothing of media sense weenie. You asked about the relevance of a Horse and Buggy, to which I replied that they were relevant to the Amish. It takes a brain with intelligence to see where an item is useful. A band saw is not useful to radio, but it is useful to a carpenter, and I bet there is a company that still makes buggies and sells them. Gawd you are dumb. Only a dolt like you can't see the forest for the trees. And why do you insist on using the word "dolt"? I could have sworn I used that term on you long ago, but I guess you are copying my greatness so I will take it as a compliment. Radio's relevance is not measured by your measly little opinion, you flake, it's measured by the people who use it, and there are many regardless of what you think or try to spout off here on the internet anonymously. Hahaha you are truly pathetic and I knew I could get your goat and get you to respond because I am that good you twink. You just couldn't resist. Now bobby, go away, you have been pwned!

jjenkins

Post by jjenkins » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:06 pm

What a stupid post. A feeble attempt at reverse psychology from a feeble minded radio defender. Keep defending the suicidal industry of radio. It slit its own wrists with its complete disrespect of talent, lame sanitary and uncreative environment, and low salaries capable of satisfying only the young twenty-somethings that don't know better, and the older folks with no other options or standards of a slug. Now, go get your shinebox... :lol:

partyshark

Post by partyshark » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:03 am

jjenkins wrote: Now, go get your shinebox... :lol:
You Mudda Fukkah!...lol

If memory serves, that guy got the smackdown of all smackdowns jenks...which you have already been the recipient of, so who's laughing now?

winterwest

Post by winterwest » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:37 am

How about you kids go play on Craigslist if you have nothing to add but your childish insults?

jj posts here to get your goat. It's obviously working. And this from a young kid (Okay so "u" admit..." who writes like that but a teenager?) who's never held a fulltime gig of any consequence. He proves over and over that he has no real command of anything to do with broadcasting, and yet you respond?

I like to check in here every now and again to see if anyone has anything of value to share about RADIO. Instead I find the irrelevant jj and those who can't help but respond to him and his ignorant slams against an industry he knows nothing about. Sad.

Yes, jj, we see you post. We acknowledge your need to be noticed.
Poor kid.

teckstuff

Post by teckstuff » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:47 pm

Why would anyone say "radio is dead" on an ALLACCESS forum? It's obvious what you're trying to do...a fart in church!

wsmron

Post by wsmron » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:44 am

Look. Here's the deal. Radio now run mainly by corporations. What the entity manufactures or what service it provides is completely irrelevant. It exists to make money. It makes money by keeping non-recovrable costs down, mostly salaries. The more salaries you can eliminate the more EBITDA you get. Radio will adapt. It will find a way to run with no people, or one minimum wager.The coporation will survive. It doesn't care if we don't.

yourdigitalwiz

Post by yourdigitalwiz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:36 am

Radio is a for profit communication media. It exists because it makes a profit. If it does not make a profit it ceases to exist. It has always been profitable.

There are different formats that have been successful and others that have died. There is all talk and all music and every combo in-between.

Who is creating the new formats today? Who is taking the risk to try something novel? Who is training the new talent to have a conversation with the listeners?

For radio to make a profit it needs to provide ears for advertisers messages. The point of programming is attract the greatest number of ears for the advertisers dollar. That has never changed. And this is the rule of all the other forms of audio communication, too. If the costs exceed the income, it cannot endure.

Now radio has more competitive media wanting ears, too. Movies didn't kill radio. Talkies didn't kill radio. TV did not kill radio, cable did not kill radio, satellites did not kill radio and the Internet will not kill radio either. Cheap technology makes an attractive new medium easy to start but expensive to maintain. Radio is expensive to start but cheap (in comparison) to maintain.

Radio is a unique form of communication. No wires required. It can be received everywhere and it is cheap to be a listener to acquire. It can go with us or be stationary. It is instant on and real time delivery. It does not require special equipment, software or subscriptions. I have never needed to patch or update my radio. (I am challenged to buy a radio with AM on it though)

The internet is a cloud offering diverse choices of content, but finding what you want is not easy, reliable or consistent. The cost is born by the listener for time, bandwidth, subscriptions or the specialized equipment they need, which can be very complex in comparison to a radio. There is no one entity managing the internet so there is far too little accountability for anything you find there.

iPods are cool, but they replaced the Walkman on the bike and the CD in the car, not radio.

We must innovate the content, listen to our listeners and advertisers, keep it real time and relevant, and always adapt to the inevitable changes in the landscape. Why is this such a surprise?

The internet is 20 years old. Digital media availability is less than 10. Terrestrial radio timeless. When we stop whining and go back to innovating, radio will regain the ears and and dollars it should. Find a niche and fill it. Until then understand that no one has made a sustained profit on digital streaming yet. So there is a lot of life left in those towers.

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:29 am

Now that is a post you can take to the bank.

Extremely well said!

templeofsin

Post by templeofsin » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:17 am

There a couple of things on the horizon not mentioned here that will definitely make radio worse. First is the Performance Royalty that is being bandied around in Congress right now. Not only will stations that play music have to pay the high rates from the music licensing companies (ASCAP, BMI, SESAC) but soon will have to pony up really high rates to the artists. One of the great benefits of radio for decades has been the ability to sell records for the artists. Remember hearing a song on the radio and then running down to the local record store to buy the 45? You don't? Oh, wait a minute, I forget that I am an old man now...lol. Well the artists are not selling albums anymore (just crappy sounding mp3's on iTunes) and they are looking for revenue generation for themselves. This is going to happen, face it. If you are a Congressman and you are being lobbied for your vote by on one hand by the president of the NAB (another one of radio's problems but that's for another post) to vote no, and on the other by Bruce Springsteen and Bono to vote yes what would you do? Not only will this act spur the massive defection of music formats to News/Talk but will kill the mom and pops as well.
Secondly , do you remember all those television stations that not long ago turned off their analog signals to go digital by law? Did you think that all of the spectrum just went away? Nope. Soon it will be filled with broadband applications that will go directly to your car. So if you are thinking that internet connectivity to your car is limited to those tiny cell phone towers you see littering the roadways then you are sadly mistaken. The one thing about those big old analog television signals is that they almost covered everything in between markets and the ability to drive for great distances and listen to 200+ stations is just around the corner. And people will pay for it as it will be included with their phone plan. That's the future, bank on it. But the good thing about that is it will provide an excellent opportunity to showcase some eclectic, nich-ey type formats as long as you can pay the cover charge to the broadband companies that are going to control the content. The Boggles had it all wrong. Video didn't kill the Radio Star...... The internet did.