Will Radio Get Worse Before it Gets Better?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
countryboy

Re: Will Radio Get Worse Before it Gets Better?

Post by countryboy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:23 am

danno wrote:So,the concept of a Good Product Has changed... so by what yardstick are we judging a Good Product by?
By the same yardstick we in radio judge everything by: the ratings. We know what people want from radio by what they do and how they behave. We get that information, and make decisions. Not all decisions are made by what's cheapest. They're made by what gets results. There are 14,000 radio stations out there, and different stations make different decisions based on the results they want. It's not one single monolithic thing called radio. So one can't really talk about "will radio get worse," because it isn't one thing. The stations people like are great, and those people don't like are stinking. That's the yardstick. Other than that, we all like different things.

danno

Post by danno » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:07 pm

I Agree in Any Business Venture its all about Results, its a No Brainer but Perception IS Reality, the Perception IS Radio as an Industry is on the Ropes from people who were displaced or Are IN Radio Now. Staffs have and Are being cut for a REASON(maybe two Reasons) #1 these radio stations are not meeting the bottom line(they are NOT getting results for cleints or by the sales staff, and ratings are down because people have left a poor product(look at the teens and young adults fleeing Local Radio) and (OR) they want to grow profits at the expense of their OWN product, that could suffer, its a losing cycle.

countryboy

Post by countryboy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:14 pm

danno wrote: the Perception IS Radio as an Industry is on the Ropes from people who were displaced or Are IN Radio Now.
To be honest, I don't care what former employees think. I program to listeners, not the industry. And at my station, we're making money, getting good ratings, and making great radio. That's all that matters to me. And when I chat with others in my position around the country, we all feel the same way. By the way, our stock just hit an all time high. So the perception of our company is obviously very good.

fabb1963

Post by fabb1963 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:26 am

Radio, as any means of communication, is a slave to the listening public. The valid claim that music can be heard on various stations in any given market place is true and the difference between success and failure lies in the DJs ability to bring the listeners in.

Now comes the million dollar question...should DJs be themselves and hope their own personality on the air will be what the listeners want or should they conform to the market and renounce their own on the air personality? To maintain employment, the obvious answer is the first part of the question..but is renouoncing one's ability worth it in the long term for one's career?

Given the market drives the demand, I would have to agree that radio will get worse before it gets better. One factor is the economy making work less available so DJs will not be so willing to be themselves, thus the airwaves will be enslaved to the listeners wants versus the DJs abilities. Once the jobs become more readily available, I believe the talent of the DJs will improve the quality of the radio.

Just my two cents

Frederick A. Babb
http://www.frederickbabb.com

countryboy

Post by countryboy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:56 am

fabb1963 wrote: Once the jobs become more readily available, I believe the talent of the DJs will improve the quality of the radio.
My experience with that is the opposite. In the 80s, Docket 80-90 doubled the number of radio stations, and as a result led to a huge increase in jobs. But the quality of the new DJs didn't match those who were there. Lots of people were hired who probably shouldn't have been, because they needed to fill the chairs. Quantity does not equal quality. In a world where we have an over-abundance of content, that also has not led to quality, nor is that the motivation. If you're interested in quality, I suggest you spend some time listening to NPR. That's what radio sounds like when it's not motivated by profit.

Too often, the idea of "better radio" means returning to the past. That's not going to happen. The past is over. So if you're waiting for it to return for radio to get better, you'll be waiting a long time. The world has changed, technology has changed, the music has changed, the music industry has changed, and the audience has changed. Bringing radio back to the past won't return everything else to the way they were. That train left the station a long time ago.

The future of radio will not be driven by DJs. They gave up that role 40 years ago. Today's listeners don't care about DJs. That's why they don't have any at Pandora, Spotify, or any of the online radio services.

danno

Post by danno » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:38 pm

The future of radio will not be driven by DJs. They gave up that role 40 years ago. Today's listeners don't care about DJs. That's why they don't have any at Pandora, Spotify, or any of the online radio services.[/quote]

IF i Were a "DJ" i would be Insulted, but i'm Not, and neither is Howard Stern, Duran, Bob & Tom or whoever... Everybody plays "Music",.. you have to ask yourself Just WHAT will set You apart from the Rest? If All Music is your thing on pandora or internet sites Fine, Radio cannot, and probably should Not Compete on that field to attract an Audience, but the Morons who are running many Radio properties will try, and Lose. they've forgotten about PEOPLE, and Entertaining People, because doing that costs Money, and many are unwilling to make that Investment. i just re-watched "Good Morning Vietnam" i feel like Adrian Kronaur in a world of Dan Levitan's...i don't have a dog in this fight anymore, and i don't have a radio station to listen to that doesn't Bore me to tears. Keep playin' 10 in a row with a 10 Min stop break, Radio, i'm Outta here, and i'm not alone.

countryboy

Post by countryboy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:30 am

danno wrote:the Morons who are running many Radio properties will try, and Lose. they've forgotten about PEOPLE, and Entertaining People, because doing that costs Money, and many are unwilling to make that Investment.
Have you ever been to YouTube? Entertaining people doesn't cost money. It takes imagination. There are lots of people with imagination and no money entertaining people today. The world has changed. You don't need to hire lots of local staff to entertain people. Consider this message board: user-generated content. How much does this cost? Nothing. Yet you seem very entertained.

danno

Post by danno » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:28 pm

when it comes to entertaining People, THEY WILL PAY Money to get More than Free over the air TV stations, Cable TV, HBO's all cost EXTRA and people are willing to pay More for Quality Entertainment.. they will Pay to hear Howard Stern, Radio Stations could just play 10 in a row, YET they see a Need to Pay for a Relatable Local Air-Talent... then there's Bob & Tom, John Boy and Billy, Duran and hundreds of others they make ALOT of money because GM'S/Owners/PD's see a need to offer more than just music... What do they KNOW that You don't? sometimes Free is Not worth the the Cost.

countryboy

Post by countryboy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:34 pm

How much do you pay for OTA radio? Has a local station ever sent you a bill? No. You want what you want, and you want it for free with fewer commercials. And you don't care what it costs the station.

I also don't know where you come up with the idea that radio companies don't spend money on people. They spend millions. Millions on salaries, benefits, studios, technical equipment, lawyers, and everyone else in the food chain. By the way, the people you mention, Bob & Tom or John Boy & Billy, are among the most popular on-air talent on the radio. They have more far listeners than anyone on Sirius or online radio. They may not be relatable to you, but they are to millions of other people.

You think the cable channels are quality? Have you watched Bravo lately? Keeping Up With The Kardashians is quality? Maybe to you.

danno

Post by danno » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:47 pm

Free ain't workin' Countryboy, If Local FREE Television and FREE Local Radio were Good Enough, You, me wouldn't pay a Cable or Direct TV bill, and Sirius/XM and all the rest would be out of business.. Back to my point, and the point of WHY this blog about Radio, "will it worse before it gets better" (and the fact that the questiona Has to be asked) has thousands of Hits.. Radio Sucks! Unless you are guys like Bob Pittman, Lew Dickey or others Making 6 + figure salaries. for the people Radio has left out in the cold, or the ones left at a station wearing 3 or 4 Hats making Poverty wages with No Staff and no Clue, Radio Sucks.