Advice Needed!!

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
ibizamitch

Advice Needed!!

Post by ibizamitch » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:25 pm

I am a jock that is in a smaller medium market in the Northeast. I run the morning show but, of course have very little freedom to do or say much anymore. Any ideas I present to my PD are tossed out and I feel as if I'm just sorta being brushed aside.
I've been in the industry for about 5-6 years and feel like I'm hitting my head on a short ceiling. When I initially took this gig it seemed like they were going to let me run my morning show, but as I soon began to find out its the exact opposite. I don't mind speaking about sponsors or anything like that, but when I have no creative freedom it bugs me.

That's why I'm turning to this site to see if I can get some help. I work at a Top 40 station, so it seems like there should be a ton of fun to have but its really gearing in the opposite direction. Again, I've got about 200 ideas for promotions, on-air bits, interviews, etc but can't pull off a single one. Can someone give me some advice and help me out!!

pbergin

Re: Advice Needed!!

Post by pbergin » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:55 pm

Consider yourself lucky to be employed right now, but keep the ideas neatly stored in outline form ready to be brought out in the future. There will be new ownership in radio, and there will be a market for new ideas.

In the meantime go over in your mind the kind of environment you want to work in, what you'd like the station to sound like, and how you feel you'd fit in. Then commiserate with others who think the same way you do. Once you know what you want to do... and perhaps more importantly... what's practical you'll be in a much better position to sell that to a prospective employer.

It may take awhile, but there is a change on the way.

During our "Snowmageddon" here in the DC metro, I was without power for 24 hours. The temp was 9 degrees, the roads were covered with 2 feet of snow and not a road crew or plow in sight. I had a crank powered radio, and tried to find out what was going on here in Fredericksburg. Every station was running the same list of closings, read directly from the county websites. Not one had the common sense to find out where the road crews were, and when the various neighborhoods might get power back. Not one single station!!! What a disgraceful situation. Here was a golden opportunity for radio to do what it has always done best... be the community resource for local information in a once in a lifetime emergency situation... and it failed completely. Radio needs to be put out of it's misery.

It was a disgrace. a total, complete and unequivocal disgrace.

kendallweaver

Post by kendallweaver » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:24 am

If the PD doesn't pay attention to your ideas, maybe the morning show Talent will. Perhaps the PD would welcome ideas from them.. even if they originate from you. Also, bounce your ideas off others before approaching the PD, and be sure they're solid. Remember, your PD may have done this all before, and not be all that impressed with reshaped versions of the same old stuff. And if your idea incorporates sales, even better. But keep trying!

jastar102

Post by jastar102 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:00 pm

Don't ask permission. Ask forgiveness. :)