Larry Lujack is dead...

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
danno

Larry Lujack is dead...

Post by danno » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:37 pm

From WLS Chicago The Big 89! 60's-70's-80's Want to know What Personality Radio is or was? check him out on YouTube. he was Certainly an Inspiration to a Snot-Nosed teenage Radio Geek like me. If you never heard him you wouldn't understand, and there are alot of people who don't understand Personality Radio.

countryboy

Re: Larry Lujack is dead...

Post by countryboy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:04 pm

The thing people forget about Lujack is there was someone like him in just about every city. In New York, his name was Dan Ingram. He worked the same shift at a station owned by the same company, and played a lot of the same records. Sound familiar? The problem with Lujack is he worked during the day. Had he been the overnight guy, he would have built a national reputation like Bill Mack or Hoss Burns. But in the daytime, the Big 89 was blocked on the east coast by WCBS. So we never heard him.

danno

Post by danno » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:16 am

Actually, There was No One like Larry Lujack, and there was No One like Dan Ingram in terms of their Unique Talent. some have called Lujack the 1st Shock Jock, not really, but he was certainly the 1st air personality with "Attitude" for sure. growing up in the midwest i was in earshot of the 50,000 watt Monster WLS so i heard Lujack for several years at also at 50,000 watt WCFL as well. i never was exposed to dan ingram due to being in afternoon drive on wabc and no night skip, until airchecks were circulated several years ago, and i became an Instant Fan, of his Incredible Talent.

dylan923

Post by dylan923 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:23 am

There was NEVER and there NEVER will be anyone like Larry Lujack. And Larry Lujack did have a national reputation. Uncle LAR and John "RECORDS" Landecker both went back and forth from WLS to WCFL.

danno

Post by danno » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:10 pm

i would say that Lujack took Personality Radio with him, But Sadly Personality Radio Left The Building long before he did.

countryboy

Post by countryboy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:28 am

dylan923 wrote: And Larry Lujack did have a national reputation.
Explain how that was possible. Rick Dees, who was in Memphis at the same time, got national publicity from Disco Duck. Don Imus released albums of his radio bits. Wolfman Jack hosted national TV shows. Lujack did none of those things. Just because he's famous in a big city doesn't mean everyone outside Chicago knows who he is.

danno

Post by danno » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:43 pm

Four or Five things, 1st of all the 50,000 watt signal of WLS covered Virtually All of the Midwest, and with skip Much, Much More, THEN there was his Book called "Superjock", and he also did some syndication, he was On-Air for nearly 40 years and did many persoanl apprearances outside of Chicago... maybe you understand why many would know him.

countryboy

Post by countryboy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:05 am

danno wrote:Four or Five things, 1st of all the 50,000 watt signal of WLS covered Virtually All of the Midwest,
That signal only had that affect after sundown, and Lujack was on the air in the daytime. During the day, there were lots of other smaller AM stations on that frequency that limited the station's coverage. That's why the DJs with the greatest historic impact were the ones who were on the air at night, like Wolfman Jack, Hoss Burns, or Alan Freed.

His book never made the best-sellers list, and only was bought by a small number of radio geeks and fans in the Chicago area. He didn't actively promote it with appearances on national TV shows like Johnny Carson. The national radio syndication came much later in life, as an oldies format, on a very limited basis. No where near what Clark, Dees, Cousin Bruce, Ingram, Imus, Stern, Morgan, Tuna, or many others had.

My comments aren't meant as a criticism of Lujack and what he did. However, he simply didn't have the NATIONAL reputation others had, both at the time and since. Local radio stars were mainly stars in their local markets. That's one of the limitations of local radio.

danno

Post by danno » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:11 am

Daytime coverage of WLS was and IS Huge, look at a coverage map, whether he was doing Morning Drive or afternoons some of his airshift was after sunset or before sunrise, even if you want to argue that Lujack was only a Local DJ, Chicago is over 3 Million people but, he had an influence well beyond Chicago in the Midwest and for several decades. the thing is, i don't think Lujack really Cared if he were a national radio figure, and didn't actually seek the limelight, who knows where it might have taken him. it is much easier for people with less talent & smaller resumes to hit Nationally these days, all one has to do is look at The Kardashians, Honey Boo Boo, The Duck Dynasty boys or Ryan Seacrest. if nothing else Lujack influenced people in the Industry, there are countless air personalities who got into this business because they admired his talent, i am one of them. if you are too young to remember or know, it is understandable. people have their own hero's, today. thats about all i can say.

countryboy

Post by countryboy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:00 am

danno wrote:Daytime coverage of WLS was and IS Huge, look at a coverage map,
OK. Here it is:

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pa ... =L&hours=U

It's not as huge as you think. And it's impossible to have influence if people can't hear you. As I said earlier in this thread, lots of other people did similar things on air. So what one might attribute to Lujack could also be attributed to other people in other markets at the same time. In my case, my opinions of Lujack have nothing to do with my age, but rather the fact that I couldn't hear WLS during the day in my area. So he had nothing to do with my love of radio, or my decision to enter the field.

The fact is there are other people, even at WLS, who had more influence because they worked in other markets besides Chicago. One of those is Dick Biondi, who was already a legend in Buffalo before he left for Chicago, and even had a brief career in LA. Working in other markets can expand your influence. Larry stayed in Chicago his entire career. He's a local star. That's admirable, but he does not have a national reputation or influence like many other people of his generation. I agree that Lujack didn't care if he was a national radio figure. That's why he wasn't one.