Larry Lujack is dead...

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
danno

Re: Larry Lujack is dead...

Post by danno » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:54 pm

I count WLS Daytime covering Six States and St Louis Mo. and don't forget whether he worked Morning Drive or Afternoon Drive, Both were in either Pre-Sunrise or some hours after Sunset depending on the season. i can't think of too many Radio Personalities in the 60's or 70's that had National Influence outside of Casey Kasem, maybe Rick Dees, and Dick Clark was an established figure before then, along with Paul Harvey. maybe we can agree Lujack was a Far reaching local air Personality with that coverage, and thats about as good as it got back then.

countryboy

Post by countryboy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:49 am

danno wrote: maybe we can agree Lujack was a Far reaching local air Personality with that coverage, and thats about as good as it got back then.
He mainly covered the state of Illinois. People in St. Louis had their own funny local DJs to listen to. Same with Indianapolis. No reason to listen to long-distance static from Chicago. My point is that local radio DJs, no matter how great, were primarily local stars. For a certain generation of people who grew up in the upper mid-west in the 70s, he was great. If you didn't share that timeline or geography, you have no personal experience. As for "far-reaching," I'd suggest it was far less than Alan Freed, Hoss Burns, or Ralph Emery at WSM. WABC's Dan Ingram, Cousin Bruce Morrow and later George Michael had the same signal in a far more populated region, so I'd say they had more influence.

danno

Post by danno » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:21 pm

WTF is a "Hoss Burns" Never hear of em', Ralph Emery? C'mon,Really...Just covers Illiniois? What part of WLS Covering 6 states with Daytime Coverage do you Not understand? OK lets talk about Indianapolis, i grew up there, WLS came in like a Local Station, so did WCFL, both out of Chicago, for me it was better radio than they had in town, so i listened to them along with CKLW out of Detroit/Windsor Ont. we're talking for the moment about Daytime coverage WABC's coverage never came close to Indianpolis, so i never heard dan ingram in Indianapolis, But he had his following during the daytime hours in the Northeast, just like Lujack had but in a different area of the country, both stations had a large daytime coverage area. If i were ballparking the population of coverage area WLS and Lujack covered during the daytime hours(i won't even include pre-sunrise and post sunset, that he was on during those years) i would guess at least double the 3 Million people around the Chicago metro. he also commanded some Big ratings, Lujack would be in the same league as anyone you mentioned, even "Hoss Burns" whoever he was.

countryboy

Post by countryboy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:53 pm

danno wrote:WTF is a "Hoss Burns" Never hear of em', Ralph Emery? C'mon,Really...
Of course you never heard of them You didn't live in any of the states covered by WLAC or WSM. But they had huge coverage areas, just like WLS. Same with Ingram, Morrow, and Michael at WABC. My point throughout this thread is that local DJs are local stars, not national influences.

You know who you grew up with. They were huge to you. But to the millions of others who didn't share your experience, they never heard of Lujack. I'm one of those people. My only knowledge of him is what people tell me. Did Lujack ever get his name in a major hit song? Hoss Burns did.

countryboy

Post by countryboy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:58 am

Correction: I meant to say Hoss Allen of WLAC. You probably never heard of him either.

robnokshus

Post by robnokshus » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:28 pm

Allright! The Countryboy is back! Good times.

danno

Post by danno » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:34 pm

countryboy wrote:Correction: I meant to say Hoss Allen of WLAC. You probably never heard of him either.
I guess you Never hear of Hoss either since you didn't Remember his Name Correctly... I Never meant to say that Lujack was a National "Star" he wasn't! and despite those heard at night on wabc, WLS and so on with Skip, They were Not National stars either because No Station covers All of America. Stern(now on XM) and Ryan Seacrest Are National Figures with Radio Programs, due to TV and stern with satilite.
i guess i had a problem with the term "Local"... "Local" to me would be,
some dude at a 250 watt daytimer that everyone loves in Bumble Fugg Mississippi, Not the case with Lujack, for people listening in the 6 states WLS covered, for nearly 40 years, He was a Giant Air Personality, for You who never heard him, you wouldn't know, and i Get That. Jeez! What are we arguing about?

danno

Post by danno » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:26 pm

BREAKING NEWS FOR COUNTRYBOY... Larry Lujack Honored during the National Broadcast of The Grammy Awards Tonight... :D

countryboy

Post by countryboy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:03 am

I was there. They showed his picture on the screen for a few seconds, grouped with two others. Several other radio people got the same treatment. Very different from what Dick Clark got last year.

danno

Post by danno » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:57 pm

I GUESS Larry Lujack MADE The "NATIONAL'S" THEN HUH?