I don't want to click "more" in Net News

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
q

I don't want to click "more" in Net News

Post by q » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:48 pm

I hate that i have to click to read a whole story in Net News. And most of the time it's just one more sentence anyway. A whole page load for a sentence. It was easier to scroll through a long story I didn't like than it is to click on every story I want to read.

You guys that know about website stats, is this really just about getting more page clicks for the site?

Thoughts?

KOOL Listener Lauren

Re: I don't want to click "more" in Net News

Post by KOOL Listener Lauren » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:34 am

Maybe if AllAccess had Google AdSense on their website, which I don't see, there might be something to getting "more page clicks".

I think the reason for clicking "more" is simply for ease-of-use and more convenient. Now all stories are showcased at the same length. Kind of makes it easier to see all headlines, and probably, fit more stories on the page, too.

jdenver

Post by jdenver » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:16 am

The idea behind the shorter stories in Net News was to give the reader enough of the story without having to scroll way down through a lot of extra paragraphs, making the entire page a lot more efficient read. You see a story that interests you, just click "more ... " or "read full story" ... then you get the rest of the details.

As we finetune the site, now that the speed and layout issues handled, we welcome your input. Send ideas to [email protected] and if you see something broken send the info to [email protected].

We want www.AllAccess.com to be your onestop for everything.

Thanks everyone! -- Joel Denver President/Publisher

joby

Post by joby » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:16 pm

Joel, once one clicks on "more" or "read full story" and then you return to the main Net News board, the "New" icons are gone from newly posted stories making it more difficult to quickly scan for items one may not have seen yet.

jdenver

Post by jdenver » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:32 pm

OK ... good point! We'll see what we can do to keep the "New" icons in place!

russrussproductions

Post by russrussproductions » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:28 am

Too much clicking around. P.I.A. and too time consuming.
The 'Scroll' was much better/easier.

Thanks

jdenver

Post by jdenver » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:02 am

Hi everyone:

While some of you don't like the click to read the full story, a lot of you do like it.

So, to strike a balance, we've adjusted the formatting on Net News so that more of the story shows up without having to click "more" to see the rest.

You don't want to read every detail of every story do you? Thought not!

So, just click on "more" or "read full story" when you need to know more.

The rest of the article loads fast, and now we have a link "back to Net News" on the expanded stories to take you right back to where you left off on the main Net News page.

Makes Net News a quicker and easier read this way.

Please, keep your suggestions coming -- AllAccess.com is listening and working to make our new v3.0 everything you want it to be! -- Joel

konik

Post by konik » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:52 pm

I like the Click for More option. Reason I strayed away from allaccess was the long long long load time (apparently some servers couldn't handle it).
So thanks for briefing it up!
:)