Stan Freberg: A man who changed radio

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
voicedude

Stan Freberg: A man who changed radio

Post by voicedude » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:47 pm

Stan Freberg (August 7, 1926 – April 7, 2015)

I'm still dealing with losing one of my personal heroes. Stan Freberg was more than a guy who did comedy albums in the 50s and 60s. He also did voiceover work, like Pete Puma for WB and Cecil the Seasick Sea Serpent for the Beany & Cecil cartoons. Some know him as the comic genius behind such records as 'St. George and the Dragonet' and 'John and Marsha', his holiday classics 'Nuttin' for Christmas' and 'Green Christma$', or parodies like 'Banana Boat Song' ('too loud, man') and 'Heartbreak Hotel' ('too much echo'). These popular parodies even pre-date Alan Sherman. But his greatest recording has to be his inspired musical extravaganza 'Stan Freberg Presents The United States of America Vol 1'. I'm still waiting for it to hit Broadway.

Many remember him as the inventor of comedic TV commercials, but more importantly: comedic RADIO commercials. The timing, offbeat rhythms, droll humor, etc. used in radio spots today all owe a great deal of credit to Stan. There are radio producers / copywriters to this day that still use the template and style that Stan created decades ago, and yet most do not know his name. Thankfully there's many of us who fully attribute our comic style and timing influences to him ('Frebergian').

Stan was also a gracious man: George Lucas called upon Freberg to audition for the voice of C3PO in Star Wars, but Freberg suggested that he use mime actor Anthony Daniels' own voice. I was fortunate enough to have met Stan years ago when I was about 12 - he was already an influence on me would grow to be an even bigger one. Thank you Stan; for all the wit, humor, and creative direction. You cannot be replaced...

Joel-Steven aka Voicedude
(producer, v/o artist, 2nd generation radio DJ)

‪#‎StanFreberg‬ ‪#‎RIPStanFreberg‬ ‪#‎IAmFrebergian‬ ‪#‎FrebergChangedRadio‬

danno

Re: Stan Freberg: A man who changed radio

Post by danno » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:54 pm

Innovation,creativity and Genius should be Applauded! well said..

budolirin

Re: Stan Freberg: A man who changed radio

Post by budolirin » Fri May 22, 2015 2:08 am

To really understand it much. But still enough to get some knowledge.