Need Help Switching Format

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
chip

Re: Need Help Switching Format

Post by chip » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:24 am

Radio is radio. Period. Adapt. Be flexible. Don't go in to it with a closed mind. Country is a fun format, and nowdays country is the old southern rock with a fiddle and a steel guitar thrown in. Again, radio is radio...only the songs are different.

torain4

Post by torain4 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:54 pm

I'm not gonna lie! I would jump at the chance!!! I love to entertain, interact, produce content, (on air or otherwise) Having being a musician....to a degree...I could channel it to appreciation the performance so country might not be in my playlist ...but you best believe I could be a part of a Morning Team or fly solo. I can shine between the records. Any records!
My suggestion is Show your Skills!!! do what they hired you to do and do it well! Down the line an opportunity will come. And you'll be ready! ;)
OH and Congrats on getting the GIG!!!! that's not easy these Days!!!

tonyrussell

Post by tonyrussell » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:50 pm

It won't be a problem, just be entertaining and enjoy being around artist who will actually be polite, fans that are beyond passionate, and remember to embrace God, Guns, and Country.

steveking

Post by steveking » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:47 pm

We have all worked in formats that we don't care for. What you need to find is an appreciation of why the audience likes it. Radio isn't about you and your likes, if we programmed or worked only in formats we liked, we would be broke or out of a job because the station flipped formats.

If it is good money, then think of it as the best job you could ever have, ignore what you don't like about the music, enjoy what you are doing in mornings. We are actors on a stage. We perform for the audience. The company that hired you, expects you to do exactly that. Do what you do best, make the company a ton of money and you will be rewarded, but the only way that happens is if you put aside your personal biases and make the audience and the company believe you.

steveking

Post by steveking » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:51 pm

chip wrote:Radio is radio. Period. Adapt. Be flexible. Don't go in to it with a closed mind. Country is a fun format, and nowdays country is the old southern rock with a fiddle and a steel guitar thrown in. Again, radio is radio...only the songs are different.
I agree. It has come to sound a lot like mid-90s to early 2000's Hot AC/CHR, especially Keith Urban's "Fighter". I heard that and am still wondering why I didn't play it on my Hot AC sister station.

kmrichards

Post by kmrichards » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:52 am

Think of it as broadening your skill set.

In just the 1970s and 1980s, here is the list of formats I worked: MOR, Classical, Beautiful Music, Adult Contemporary, CHR, Standards, Soft AOR, Classic Hits, Urban, Modern Rock, News/Talk, and Country.

To me, it's all just music. If the audience likes it, I'll go along with them. After a while, you come to appreciate it more, and even like a good chunk of it ... if you go in with an open mind.

Putting my consultant hat on for this last paragraph, the mere fact that you have these doubts and concerns and took the time to thoroughly question what you are doing means you are a professional who now knows going in what he needs to do in order to make this work. I think you're going to do just fine, and I wish you a long stretch at your new station.