What's the next step for stations?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
ibizamitch

What's the next step for stations?

Post by ibizamitch » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:09 pm

Been thinking about this for quite a while. Any form of medium has to maintain a constant change. Whether it be the programming (which as we all know has changed drastically) or different ways of marketing. What is next for us in the radio world?? I believe that HD was a misstep for us but we can make some cool changes soon. Just wanted to see what kind of ideas were out there....

Drakea83

Re: What's the next step for stations?

Post by Drakea83 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:05 pm

I think the way to move forward is to take a lesson from what radio used to be. If radio gets back to doing good local radio and becoming a part of the community again would be the best change that radio can make. I know that is a far fetched idea in today's economy and the way that some major corporations are handling business.

yourdigitalwiz

Post by yourdigitalwiz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:29 am

Put up a table in your local mall, ball game, park and ask your listeners and prospective listeners what they want to hear on your station. Ask them when and where they listen to radio. Record them and use those for your new station promos. Use those to sell to your sponsors too. If you do that, they will come.

Drakea83

Post by Drakea83 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:56 pm

Wiz, I dig that idea. But the way a lot of stations are run now with just 1-2 people in the building and no part-timers, it'll be hard to get that done.

Plus, a lot of these corporate radio stations believe they know what listeners want without asking them. They will TELL the listeners what to think and what they WANT to hear.

ibizamitch

Post by ibizamitch » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:48 pm

Something has got to change soon. I heard the same Lady Gaga song on 4 stations yesterday in the Los Angeles Market. This was while I was just cruising around.