Are OLDIES really bad (dead)?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
danno

Re: Are OLDIES really bad (dead)?

Post by danno » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:56 pm

donobrian wrote:Your purpose is to attract the most ears that you can and people want familiar music from radio now more than ever. Radio is not for the passionate music fans, they have their own collection or stream a mix customized to them.

I have played music live to hundreds of people and while I had thousands of songs, most that charted, to keep the vibe up and party going I had to stick to a small list of the most popular songs. You seen the direct reaction when you played something not from the a list.

It is just how it is, it is not going to change. A classic hits station can sprinkle in those 60s cuts sparingly for flavor but it better be brown eyed respect flash lol.
If Radiois Not for the Passionate Music Fans....What the Hell are we in The Business For? If there is ANY Format where people Love and are Passionate about their "Memories" its Classic Hits, i'm sorry i can't get or Be passionate for the Same Tired List of "Tested" Burned out song titles or i Will go back to my I-Pod and Ditch Radio, because there is Nothing there for me! if thats what you want you will have succeeded. its this kind of Consultant mind set that has Killed radio. Sorry i can't agree with you, and i Know i'm Right, my stations have been successful.

swing60

Post by swing60 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:47 pm

One problem is that the PD's of oldies stations nowadays didn't actually grow up in the era. No knock on them, but the majority of the radio people from that era just aren't around any more. However, in most cases, the songs are timeless. In fact, you'll find many songs from the 'Bubbling Under' charts that still sound fresh today. Shirley Ellis' The Clapping Song was used in a VW Beetle commercial not too long back and Miriam Makeeba's Pata Pata was used in a commercial for Honda Crosstour. But, how many oldies stations have them on their playlists? Any kid nowadays going through their grandparents' record collection and turning on an oldies station (admittedly very few) will think the Beatles made 10 records, the Supremes maybe 7 or 8, etc. It takes a lot less time to play 300-400 2.5 minute records than it does 300-400 4-5 minute songs, so the burnout factor gets even higher with oldies. As that great man once said, "They're not making any new oldies." That means you gotta dig deeper! (IMHO)

danno

Post by danno » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:18 pm

Couldn't AGREE more swing60! by the way If you want to build a Winning Classic hits station that will Not Bore your audience and a Morning personality that won't either, i'm Ready.

donobrian

Post by donobrian » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:59 am

People like us the passionate music fans don't use radio to here a wide variety of music, they like to do that themselves through streaming a select list that they control or their own collection. When they do come to us, it is for a personality or a promotion we are doing.

The masses just want to hear music that they know and love. When the ipod came out you could put over 10 thousand songs on it, yet the average person had around 400 at most.

Just look at k-earth, they run an extremely tight playlist and they are #1, do you really think they would get those ratings playing 2 thousand different songs?

tstone

Post by tstone » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:47 am

Classic Rock used to be about the deep cuts, celebrating the full spectrum talent of their genre and demonstrating why the stuff was indeed classic. But for awhile, some programmers got the idea that folks just wanted to hear the "hits". Some classic rock stations you could almost set your watch as to song title and artist and when they would come.

They became boring and predictable. This is not a plus. Especially in an age where you can now get those same songs anywhere.

It is much better to play the deep cuts as well as the hits and have album showcases and the like. It is much more gratifyiing to hear from a listerner, "wow, I haven't heard that song in years" than to hear Hotel California and Stairway to Heaven again. And again. And again.

danno

Post by danno » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:26 pm

donobrian wrote:People like us the passionate music fans don't use radio to here a wide variety of music, they like to do that themselves through streaming a select list that they control or their own collection. When they do come to us, it is for a personality or a promotion we are doing.

The masses just want to hear music that they know and love. When the ipod came out you could put over 10 thousand songs on it, yet the average person had around 400 at most.

Just look at k-earth, they run an extremely tight playlist and they are #1, do you really think they would get those ratings playing 2 thousand different songs?
IDon't Want them going to I-Pods and streaming! the reason they ARE is because "Radio" isn't giving them what they WANT! so, why would they come back to a Radio station that plays the same "Tested" Burned out titles over and over again? RATINGSdo Not tell you how many people are listening, it tells you WHAT station do people KNOW, its all Top Of The Mind....KEARTH has been doing this format for a long time and they have Won THAT battle, and that battle IS, top of the mind recognition, whether they are actually listening who knows? who cares, when you have that you win...

tstone

Post by tstone » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:09 am

I got told more than once that "the music doesn't matter". That it was the "personalities" that would draw and keep the listeners. At the same time, they were relying on voice tracking or inexperienced jocks under severe restrictions.

The music does matter on a music station. But listeners want a reason to stay there. Surprise and personal engagement are the key. Given that, the above is death.

Which is why much of radio is where it is today.