What would you do in my postiion?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
jclmurphy

What would you do in my postiion?

Post by jclmurphy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:20 am

What would you do if you were me? I'm in the UK and looking for a change. I have 2 syndicated radio shows that are broadcast around the world on FM, AM and online stations.

The shows are broadcast in countries as far afield as New Zealand, Spain, China, America and of course the UK. Whilst I enjoy doing what I do, I really want to do something different.

I'd love the opportunity to work for a small to mid-sized oldies station in America, to be able to do oldies from a British perspective (50's - 80s) and to become part of the community, getting involved with station related in the broadcast area.

While I realise it's easier said than done in the present climate, I feel that I could bring an different outlook to the format. I'm a great lover of radio and don't feel it's dying. However I think it sometimes needs a fresh perspective.

I suppose my question is this. How would you start your quest if you were in my shoes?

waverunner

Re: What would you do in my postiion?

Post by waverunner » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:35 pm

Please take this as offered - no offense intended and just an opinion.

Offhand, I'd say your chances are very, very slim of achieving your goal. Not impossible - just difficult. There are several reasons. It's been quite awhile since I checked this forum but I have many years of both radio & AA under my belt. It's not a rare thing for someone from England or Scotland looking to get into American radio. Because broadcasting here is now so much controlled by large firms and voice tracking is common, jobs are scarce all around. Salaries have been slashed for all but the biggest names and, frankly - not many PDs or GMs will have the least bit of interest in what you have to offer. Even now there are situations wanted ads with job seekers promising results, a new perspective, they'll work for free, etc. Some of these folks have advertised here literally for years - and have yet to be hired. I've heard audio from a few and while not knocked out, it ain't bad; it's just that there are no jobs.

I don't know how you'd get here and how you could afford to live on what I'd have to think would be low wages - if you found a small to medium market gig. I truly am not trying to smash dreams and would very much like to be proven wrong. Don't give up but realize your quest will be difficult at best.

donobrian

Post by donobrian » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:31 pm

The post above is very negative, but it is real, I can't say he is wrong because he isn't.

You got one life, if you really want this then you have to do it. Do you do mobile djing? You might need to supplement your income by doing bars and clubs even wedding type gigs while you first take on any available weekend shifts. It might be hard to land that fulltime gig right off the bat. If you do other things like sales and are willing to do parttime that might be the more practical road as well. Good luck, just remember you will have a playlist, so your take on UK oldies wont come into play.

jclmurphy

Post by jclmurphy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:56 am

Thanks for the replies - I have to say, I'm not surprised by your responses. It's pretty much what I thought they may be. I've done mobile DJing for years and that wouldn't be a problem to me.
It's still a dream and one that I'll still pursue, no matter how hard. After all, when the time comes, I don't want to look back over my life and regret not trying.

winterwest

Post by winterwest » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:33 pm

First: Don't listen to anything but your gut.
(that includes the above "advice")

Look, you've already got a couple of shows on the air. Is there any reason you can't continue these shows as you move here to the states? Continue to host and produce your shows while you find a place you'd like to live here. Remember, all these stations that others say won't hire you and would rather run syndication found those syndicated shows they're running somewhere!

As a program director, doing what you're doing now would give you credibility in my book.

jclmurphy

Post by jclmurphy » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:15 am

Thank you for your comment Winterwest. I've been very lucky with listeners and have had them in 95 countries outside the UK - one thing about the Internet - you can find out where people are listening.

The owners of stations I'm on tell me that my shows have a following, so hopefully, that stands me good stead for the future. I shall continue to keep working toward my goal, and will continue syndicating the shows I do at the moment.

linda0012

Post by linda0012 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:18 am

I am so surprised to see the offers here. I will keep in touch for sure for better opportunities.