WXXL Sex Toy Giveaway

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
q

Re: WXXL Sex Toy Giveaway

Post by q » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:38 am

What!?! Easter is a sacred, religious day? I thought it was the day that an imaginary bunny brought candy and hid eggs for children to find.

Who knew.

radiocafe

Post by radiocafe » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:54 am

Hey Guys.... I've been reading your comments. My quote was over-the-top for AllAccess, I agree. When I read it I thought I should probably have Joel remove it... sounded funny on my call with him, but I can see how it might offend Christians. For that, I apologize. I was just excited about it and tried to get in a funny line.

But, for our actual audience (not the radio trades or industry), the contest was handled very tastefully.... and created buzz in the marketplace. We never tied it to Good Friday, etc. In fact, it was over before then. It was a classic secular Easter promotion... only for adults. It was funny and different. Never our intention to be crass or tasteless... we're a female-targeted station and this was handled in a way that the audience found acceptable.

Michael Bryan
Program Director - XL 106.7

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:19 pm

But Michael, surely in retrospect you must understand how something like a sex-toy giveaway during one of the most sacred periods in the Christian world would be extremely offensive to many listeners.

I recall (and Joel does too I imagine) when I felt the need to put my morning show "on the edge." I felt that, to compete with some of the other morning shows, I had to go toe to toe with them. If their bits were a little "edgy", then mine had to be as well. This was a time when radio was just beginning to take on an adult tenor, and I thought that I had to be a part of that.

Some years ago I took a job at a station which was owned by a man who judged every morning bit by what he thought his Baptist preacher would say about it on Sunday morning. There was NO tolerance for anything that might be construed in any way as sexually oriented. But when I visited the market and listened around, I heard every morning guy in town doing blue material. I figured this was my niche... play it squeaky clean. It's tough to be squeaky clean, believe me. It's easy to go for the crotch bit and get the laugh. It's damned hard to avoid the crotch entirely and get laughs. You seriously have to write that stuff, and it takes time. It does for me anyway, I'm not that good.

But guess what. That show averaged well over a 20 share against competition such as Tim and Willie, Bobby Rich and other great morning shows. We wiped the floor with them. I was one of the 10 highest rated morning men in the country (based on quarter hour average) every year I worked there. And we did it by making damned sure that, if a mom was listening to my show while driving her kids to school, she would never, ever hear anything that could possible make her feel uncomfortable.

Clean aint easy, but it works big time!

Scott Carpenter

toys4grownups

Post by toys4grownups » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:30 am

Still there are many countries in the world where Adult toys are ban.
Last edited by toys4grownups on Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

frankincleveland

Post by frankincleveland » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:13 am

Sex toys are a $15 BILLION dollar a year business.

People are obviously buying them. Would I give them away in all markets and formats? Absolutely not. But if I was on a station where every other song was about hooking up in a club, the "Don't do anything that would make mom uncomfortable" ship sailed long ago.

I'm often amused by the white men that are quick to tell women and blacks what they should be offended by.

jimwalsh

Post by jimwalsh » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:14 pm

How dare they degrade a sex toy giveaway by associating it with that stupid, fabricated holiday that allegedly "celebrates" the birthday of a demigod who in all probability never existed, except to serve the purposes of the government/religious hustlers in their eternal effort to control our lives...

Sex is too clean and innocent for that...

coxan12

Post by coxan12 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:16 pm

toys4grownups wrote:
Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:30 am
Still there are many countries in the world where Adult toys are ban.
No there is no more countries left now the things has been changed man!