What Has Radio Come To ?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
musicman

What Has Radio Come To ?

Post by musicman » Tue May 04, 2010 9:31 am

... Today we are saddened by the passing of one Radio's Premiere Broadcasters, Dave Reinhart. Dave gave his heart, soul, and time to make our industry a better place.

For ALL of us, It is a sad state of affairs that we give our all, our time, passions, our hopes, take time away from our family, and we forget to stop and enjoy the life God has given us. In return, we are treated like a piece of toilet paper by the owners & manager of radio stations.

Keep in mind that a radio station is nothing more than a tower, a transmitter, and a bunch of equipment. it is the PEOPLE that bring it alive and make it work.

Some say iPod and Satellite is now today's source of entertainment. My question is why?

It is because we forget "what made Radio Famous". It was DJ's with something to say that was entertaining, fun, local, and related to the listeners. Where can you find that now ???

My experience over the past few years is in the smaller markets. That is why I tell people that Los Angeles, New York, Chicago is NOT what you think it is. Low Pay, your are treated like a slave, and fired at the drop of a hat !

Since 1972, Radio in L.A. has become a cesspool of bad radio. We refer to it out here as the place where DJ's & Programmers come to "get bad". If Ryan Seacreast is the “Benchmark” of success and what radio should be today.... WE ARE IN DEEP TROUBLE ! You should hear his day-to-day show. Sounds like something in market 200. It is very sad our industry has come down to this.

No creative, no fun, no local info, just a drone of music liked a jukebox.

It is very sad. I worked in L.A. in the 70's when it was exciting, fun, and your could feel the electricity of the market. Now is it is just another big, dirty town with boring radio.

Tom Watson
Burbank, California

pbergin

Re: What Has Radio Come To ?

Post by pbergin » Tue May 04, 2010 12:26 pm

If this is the same Tom Watson I knew at CHUM... you're a consultant, what are you doing about it?

I've tossed out opinions, ideas and a ton of observations that I've gathered about real people and their radio listening habits over the past 10 years since I've been out of the business. I've successfully demonstrated how voice tracking can be utilized and made to sound live and local, I have two years worth of airchecks from CHUM to prove it. Over the course of those two years I received dozens of inquiries from radio managers, OMs and PDs asking if I traveled up to Toronto every week to do the show. When I told them I did it from my house in Virginia over a telephone line they were flabbergasted.

You know the response I get from the industry? Zero. That or the old "I'd love to do something like that but we just can't." There's always 100 reasons why NOT do attempt something... there's only one reason to actually move forward... because you have the balls and the will to make it happen.

I don't care anymore, I'm a successful systems admin at the US Dept of Energy. But for those who insist on reserving the right to whine about the state of the industry while sitting back and twiddling their thumbs as it falls apart before their eyes, either dump or get off the crapper.