SOLO Female Morning Show hosts!?!

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
pastagirl

SOLO Female Morning Show hosts!?!

Post by pastagirl » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:20 am

I'm trying to find out how many WOMEN do a full-blown SOLO Morning Show in the United States! It's information my station would like to have for statistics! Anybody have any idea?? Help Please!!

partyshark

Re: SOLO Female Morning Show hosts!?!

Post by partyshark » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:29 am

Ryan Seacrest is one...

thelegend

Post by thelegend » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:23 pm

I hope not too many. Either they are boring or just plain irritating and filthy.

Just like the camera likes females the mic likes males. Males have more creativity and variety to what they do.

#0 years ago the few women on the air had nice voices and WARM. Most women have lost the art of Warmth.

Just Sayin

jendonnelly

Post by jendonnelly » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:39 am

I actually do a solo morning show on 91.3 The Rock. Our news and weather are done by my boss who does the morning show on our sister station.

jendonnelly

Post by jendonnelly » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:50 am

haltalk,

Its all good. "legend" can have his viewpoints. I used to be very sensitive about comments when I got into this business in 1992, but as you know, over time you develop a tougher skin;)

Of the 3 comments made, I know I'm not filthy. The station is a Christian Rock/CHR format. Filthy is not my style nor would I have the job I do if it was.

Irriatting and boring- Hmmmm.... I admit I can improve my craft. I'm a night person so getting up at 4 is a bit of a struggle, but I try and do my best. I have co-hosted a morning show before and did a tag team afternoon show where I was the "lead" so to speak. Consulting with Brian Wright has helped more than I can say, especially since our target is a 18-25 year old (and thats not where my age lands;)
The station has been around for only a year and a half and our listening area is small and one of the hardest economically hit areas in Michigan. So we try to provide hope thru our music and I try to make people smile/laugh by giving them a glimpse inside my everyday world with my family. We are getting a great response from teens and parents, which is why we started this station. To reach youth with relevant music that builds them up, while still having the sound they want.

Have a great day and may God bless your socks off

Jen

jendonnelly

Post by jendonnelly » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:23 am

Thank you for the kind words Halltalk. I agree with you...typically female morning shows are not the norm, for a variety of reasons. But I am one that believes that nothing is impossible with God.

I pray that you are blessed in unexpected ways this week.
Thanks again

Jen

labambaman

Post by labambaman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:44 pm

You know; that's a good question, Pastagirl. I can't really think of any here in the D.C. area that I'm familiar with. Elliot's co-host is a lady(can't recall her name right now) and then there's Micky and Amelia up in Baltimore, but I can't really think of any others.

I will say, though, that Hillary Howard on WTOP(our local news talk station, which I love) does quite well with her co-host(who's a male). And she's not irritating OR filthy. Crazy how that works, huh?

Hall- i think part of the reason we hear less female leads on the radio is that women tend to have softer voices then men. This isn't always the case, but it does seem to play into the decision of lead talent on the air. On something like a rock station some people may not see females as having the ability to project quite like men do. I'm not saying this is right or 100% fact, but that's what I think is going on here.

susansan

Post by susansan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:03 am

Just for the record, I am a female and one of the mysterious few who have a solo morning show on a Top 40 station. How did this happen?

Well, I had a male side kick/news man who followed my lead well for 10 years and then was a budget cut even though we were rated number one. Then my fabulous program director came in as a part time producer/side-kick for the last 2 years but honestly he was gone more than present on the show due to other job responsibilites like filling in other day parts or early morning meetings. During the last book I was all alone. Guess what? Highest ratings in my 13 years at the station.

Yes, I have news and sports voices during the show, but the they taped from our sister station. Do I wish I had side kick/partner or producer? Yes.
I think most people sound brighter on the air in the early morning when they have another person to inspire them. Will it happen for me? We will see after the new program director arrives and the budget is finalized.

So there you go. It does happen and it can work. You can check me out at 101.5 WBNQ in Bloomington Illinois or online at WBNQ.com

KaseyKruz

Post by KaseyKruz » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:30 pm

Hey, more power to ya Susan! You are one of the few here who dare post with their real name and not hide under some "I wish I was as important as my screen name denotes" screen names. You put your self out there for who you are and KUDOS to you for it! Good Luck with your show, and if you ever need an extra voice for something, let me know!

tjmcvay

Post by tjmcvay » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:25 am

I lost my partner and ended up hosting mornings for 4 months, which just happened to be during BOOK in the market I am in - corporate was scrambling, and ended re-hiring the old team anyway, but turns out my numbers doubled once my partner left; for some reason, heads think two people need to be arguing about stupid things during morning drive - all I was "permitted" to do was music, news, traffic, weather and time - so I basically read the paper on the air, commented on things happening around the area and talked about what was going on in my life at the time - when ratings came out, my numbers were almost DOUBLE: I ended up with a 15 share...

and for the record: I wasnt talking like a sleaze, cursing, ranting or raving about anything... I was just being ME... so yeah, I do believe if you talk about things the listeners care about, keep it LIVE AND LOCAL, a WOMAN CAN bring in the listeners, and the numbers...

dont know if it matters much, just wanted to throw in MY two cents... been keeping track of this thread, and it was driving me crazy... ;}