Santa Barbara's Market only Pay-For-Play

Got a great idea? Need a great idea? Share it! Please, no freelance, VO/Imaging or other business plugs!
omalley

Santa Barbara's Market only Pay-For-Play

Post by omalley » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:11 pm

I work for an artist that was getting in touch with some of the stations in Santa Barbara about an upcoming show. Its a crazy show that has different guests, including one from the popular show Chelsea Lately. They said the only way they would invite the talent on was if they bought a bunch of promotion time at the station. They said they were not interested in the show they were doing in town but if the station was going to make some money or not. Needless to say... we are now in talks with the college station and the newspaper is coming in to do a story on it!!

Our show is May 1st and I found this absolutely ridiculous. This is the direction we are going in radio???

ibizamitch

Re: Santa Barbara's Market only Pay-For-Play

Post by ibizamitch » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:11 pm

Apparently radio is "moving forward"

ECalhoun713

Post by ECalhoun713 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:45 pm

Especially now, everything is just triggered by money and if they aren't going to make money from this or even make their radio station bigger they aren't going to do it. It's sad but true.

ibizamitch

Post by ibizamitch » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:34 am

True but I feel as if they are going to be hurting themselves in the future when talent comes around. You leave a bad taste in someone's mouth once and that can ruin careers.

bbrasky

Post by bbrasky » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:37 am

I don't know who you talked to but would like to hear your pitch. Sounds like something I'd like to have on my show.

chrisadam7

Post by chrisadam7 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:57 am

santa Barbara Assemblymember Pedro Nava — now running for Attorney General — went on the offensive on behalf of a new tax he proposes for California oil companies. Holding a press conference outside the state capitol with a group of unions representing teachers, nurses, and public employees, Nava charged that oil companies in California are getting a “free ride” by paying only one-third the taxes per barrel that they’re charged in Texas. Nava is proposing taxing the oil companies 10 percent of the gross value of each barrel produced in California. He estimated that such a tax — which would require a two-thirds majority vote to pass — would raise $1.5 billion. Previous efforts to pass such a tax have been effectively stymied in the Legislature.