School Delays with Wordpress?

Bring on your ideas about how to harness the power of the Internet.

Moderators: shawnski, pmsimon, patgillen, jeffy, jdenver

johnt2007

School Delays with Wordpress?

Post by johnt2007 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:54 am

Hello Everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help guide me in the right direction on an issue we're having with our cluster. We just recently switched to Wordpress as a content management system for our web sites. Right now, we're manually accepting school delays and closings and then having someone update them on our web site.

We're wondering if there is a solution out there that anyone has come across, either as a standalone service, or, as a wordpress plugin, that will allow the schools' status to be updated instantly as soon as the person submitting it ... submits it.

I'm looking forward to any help anyone can give! Thanks so much!

countryboy

Re: School Delays with Wordpress?

Post by countryboy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:01 pm

The scary part of this is ensuring the information is coming from an authorized source. The last thing you want is some 11 year old kid to post that school has been canceled.

The easy way is to check the "comments" box, and have systems post their status as a comment to a main story. Some schools use Twitter and Facebook that way. Any kind of user-generated content would have to be monitored to ensure it's correct. The other way is to create a secondary login that allows access to certain parts of the dashboard. That requires the user to know WordPress.

johnt2007

Re: School Delays with Wordpress?

Post by johnt2007 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:54 pm

We already have usernames and passwords and then another school password associated with each local school and organization as it is. They have to provide that before they even get to the section of our web site where they submit the school delay/closing.

So my concern isn't with security, because that is already fine. It's the having someone on our end have to manually change the schools status - it needs to be done instantly. That's why I'm looking for either a plugin to manipulate OR a standalone school delay service of some sorts we can subscribe to.