Do people really listen to internet radio station

Bring on your ideas about how to harness the power of the Internet.

Moderators: shawnski, pmsimon, patgillen, jeffy, jdenver

corneo

Re: Do people really listen to internet radio station

Post by corneo » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:23 am

I love how these great stories are now out of business and didn't rebuild themselves. I'm throwing the B.S. card at them.

towerspace

Post by towerspace » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:35 pm

Corneo had several good posts in this forum. Some things I agree with and one I definitely don't.
This former air talent of 15 years has been out of terrestrial broadcasting over 9 years. Yes, I miss it but not the aggravation toward when I called it quits. Internet streaming is the next step, but the data getting it to the interested listener must be unlimited and ubiquitous (that means everywhere at the same time, y'all!) and I see challenges for many parts of the nation where unlimited data means a slower data rate that may make listening more stuttering than Obama's speeches.

corneo

Post by corneo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:18 pm

(Can't believe this post is almost 3 years old.) Streaming audio is getting better and listenership has increased but not to the point of being profitable.

About the only ads you can sell for streaming audio are "pay for call" ads, which are a joke. The other issue I am still seeing out there is: promoting the show. How do you promote something that is worldwide at a cost that is affordable? There are over 800K steams on shoutcast alone. Not even mentioning the other hosting providers/private sites out there.

In talk radio there is currently a very little light at the end of the tunnel. Many satellite syndicated shows are ending. Not the big names but smaller shows. Why? Age of the host, they're tapping out because of subject boredom, their format is out of date. The list is long.

Like this week, I lost 5 hours of syndicated weekend shows and had to scramble to fill the spots. The list of shows to replace them with is very small. I am not the only station having this problem. Many other stations are having this issue too.

Somebody that can see beyond the curve will take advantage of this and do well. Time will tell.

kfodor

Post by kfodor » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:36 am

I run an internet station for a college, and work full time for a terrestrial station group.

I see a place for internet radio in the listening realm, but too many stations want to be the "anti-radio" playing, frankly, a lot of crap which radio's research shows few but record collectors and music buffs want to hear...and they tend to be a small portion of the listening audience. Though, there are some good ones, too.

Of course, playlist size can be debated...to a degree. But, an "oldies" station (for instance) trying to play 20,000 titles doesn't get a radio audience...anywhere. I think more internet station operators need a course on good programming practices (and I am NOT talking about "cut your list to 250 songs").

Our station group can have thousands of listeners on our streams daily. So if you're having a problem there, it could be lack of promotion.

georgejones01

Post by georgejones01 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:43 am

I think internet radio is still rather new. With terrestrial radio a station has a budget to spend on marketing and promotions.

bhamper

Post by bhamper » Fri May 31, 2019 10:33 am

We all have to agree that the future of radio is with the internet. Do people really listen to internet radio?
The answer is that the more people find out about it the more will be listening. Unlike terrestrial radio the options are far more vast, an Internet Radio Station, (IRS) is still in the working stages. I found a way to increase those listening numbers by connecting with a known source. I idea is being part of a cities web site. There is only one live broadcast with an On Air Talent, (OAT), for right now but the chance for expansion is as unlimited as the menu options. Creditability is the key, advertisers see the cities website as the place where the communities residents go to find their needs. Just goes back to when people find out about the cities IRS.

kint98

Post by kint98 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:19 am

Here's the BIG factor Terrestrial vs On-Line Radio. COMMERCIAL SPOTS. Every time I tune in the FM dial, they are FLOODED with too many Ads. PLUS the Terrestrial stations play repetitive music too many times. I'm sure the listeners are tired of the same song over and over again.
The BIGGEST reason On-line is much better is "NO GOVERNMENT REGULATION" FCC does NOT regulate on-line radio where FREEDOM OF SPEECH can be exercised. All over the air-waves that are Governed by the FCC is NOT protected by Freedom of Expression, hence censorship and FINES levied if you violate FCC guidelines.
On-Line is FREEDOM to the people without the GOVERNMENT RED TAPE & fines levied.
Another factor is Podcasting. More and more people are listening to podcasts that suit their tastes of programming. It's about FREEDOM of choice of what the listener wants to listen to, to be entertained. The listener comes to the podcast of choice, not the other way around.
I have seen trends in the Broadcast industry, and on-line Radio and podcasting is here to stay.

adoms12

Post by adoms12 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:34 am

Exactly,Now A Days Peoples Are Very Interested To Listen Radio Broadcasting. Many Ways For Listening Radio, Some Peoples Love Dj Music Some Are Listen For News. Today In Ghana And Other African Countries Radio Industry Grow Day By Day. Just Because Of Peoples Interest. Recently I Found Ghana Radio Stations Website. Where You Can Listen Many Ghanaian Radio Stations Like AB Zion Radio, Accra FM, Adom 106.3 FM, Atlantis Radio, Class FM, Ghana Waves, Joy 99.7 FM, Peace 104.3 FM, Praises Radio, Sankofa Radio"
Enjoy your favorite Ghana radio stations
Online Radio On https://liveghanatv.com/radio/

Must Visit it I Hope Everyone Of You Enjoy Ghana Radio Stations
Thanks Guys