The importance of the street team!!

What are you doing to make money in these tough times? How are you motivating your staff?

Moderators: shawnski, pmsimon, patgillen, jeffy, jdenver

airwavesguru

The importance of the street team!!

Post by airwavesguru » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:28 pm

Am I the only one who still feels that the street team is still important?? I think its important for the station and the listeners, it gives them a chance to meet and talk to the station. I feel that we're at a time where we should bring costs down make this more approachable for businesses and local events.

Just some ideas!!

winterwest

Re: The importance of the street team!!

Post by winterwest » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:53 am

The fact that this post is in the Sales thread is very telling. What it says to me is that the "street team" is viewed by many if not most in sales as a troupe of traveling monkeys whose only job it is to hand out balloons at the big car dealer remote this weekend.

If you're only sending your street team out because someone paid for them, you have zero idea what your street team is for or what you can generate from their intelligent use.

This is a huge part of what's wrong with radio. The sales department has taken over the use of tools when they have no clue how to plug them in.

radiocentralcoast

Post by radiocentralcoast » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:44 pm

and the programming has no idea as to how to sell to pay for themselves or the street teamers.. so I suppose it is a double edged sword.

winterwest

Post by winterwest » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:02 am

Glad I struck a nerve. That's usually when people learn.

It is not the programming departments job to sell anything. It is the programming departments job to create compelling content.

Well then, where does the "Street Team" belong, Sales or Programming?

Neither. The "Street Team" should fall under the Promotions department. You see, back before radio was taken over by real estate investors, real broadcasters used the Promotions department to build the bridge between the Sales department and Programming. The Promotions Director made sure the Sales department had something to sell beside schlepping avails. They also made sure that the hard work put in by Sales didn't sound like a swapmeet by the time it got to air.

A good station promotion should focus on three elements:
Generate Revenue
Build cume
Support the station image in the community

Unfortunately, in too many cases the Promotions Director is now regarded as the Sales departments bitch. Too bad. Everyone could be making a lot more money and radio would be more relevant on the street.

studentofsound

Post by studentofsound » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:54 pm

winterwest wrote:The fact that this post is in the Sales thread is very telling. What it says to me is that the "street team" is viewed by many if not most in sales as a troupe of traveling monkeys whose only job it is to hand out balloons at the big car dealer remote this weekend.

If you're only sending your street team out because someone paid for them, you have zero idea what your street team is for or what you can generate from their intelligent use.

This is a huge part of what's wrong with radio. The sales department has taken over the use of tools when they have no clue how to plug them in.
I can't agree more! It seems more and more everyday that the sales department (at least in my market) seem to be numbers focused. True numbers don't lie, but things like street teams provide feedback about WHY your numbers are what they are.

theopionatedone

Re: The importance of the street team!!-LOL, what??

Post by theopionatedone » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:01 pm

True, what does 'Street Team' have to with Sales and Marketing? Seriously...that's two different departments. Street Team works under the heavy blubber of some white female on the streets of somewhere USA, where they sit on their asses handing out worthless bumper stickers, or spinning the prize wheel to see a movie that no one wants to see, lol.
SALES AND MARKETING IS AN OFFICE JOB, THAT'S planning, that's cold calling, that's trying to fanagle sales for the company. STREET TEAM DOESN'T DO THAT. Street team is for semi-conscious teen-agers who hate anyone over the age of 28.
Sorry, but the previous poster, as in the person who wrote that street team was an important radio function (LOL)... Yeah, right. People go out to see celebrities, not teen-agers who get paid $8 per hour to put up a radio station banner, btw...you would get paid $10 an hour in major markets, : )
Street Team, probably can be eliminated for the sake of saving time and money, and just having the fat dj go out to a few events and show their worthless carcass to stupid, inebriated morons who walk around mindless at street fairs where overly-liberalized hippies sell their stained glass. BTW, the best street fair, or location to buy some really, really good craft work is in San Francisco, Ferry Bldg, no jokes please. : )

theopionatedone

Post by theopionatedone » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:24 pm

You know, we all have opinions, just asses, we all have one.
But I will do something different for you. I will speak from experience.
I was much older when I got into this rotten business. I was referred to a local rock station, one in which I thought they were looking for people who actually listened to their station, as I did, back then...in any case, when I got there, I saw these juveniles who looked like pre-pubescent kids behind desks trying to look important, and realized what a fraud it all was.
Everytime I went to a fair, and that station was present, I saw 18 and 19 year olds sitting on their worthless behinds, saying nothing to the public, and all the while representing a station that catered to 30, 40, and 50 year olds...and I kept asking myself? Am I on another planet, or are these people from another planet? I came to conclusion, that insanity has pervaded our society, to a very large degree. When you have a white female in her 20's, telling an older guy in his 30's, that he's not good enough, but a stupid, semi male, semi female kind of guy, "yeah, you're the one we want at a classic rock station". Anyhow...it's a rotten fucking business, you can have it.

theopionatedone

to: Winter West-ref: promotions

Post by theopionatedone » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:36 pm

Since you've made yourself the self appointed authority on promotions...Let me tell you where you're wrong. Since when do you build cume, with a promotion? Possibly, if it's done on-air, and it's a big give-away, a big concert, that will keep the audience listening...but you mixed that idea with street team, which has absolutely nothing to do with, "building cume". For those of you, who never heard of cume, it's simply a share of time spent listening to a station, during a given hour, it varies, literally, minute to minute, quarter hour by quarter hour...hour to hour, day to day...I'll debunk it right now...
A good promotion, that substitutes good on-air content means instant gratification, short term wins, and long term losses.
EG: if an 18 year old just won tickets to Lady Blah Blah, on your station, then all of a sudden she decides, "well I'd rather listen to my ipod now" or, "mix 105 has more music at this hour", you, as the promotions director, or prog. director, will have wasted those concert tix.
But...if you run a good talk station, and you have someone like Savage...those listeners will be there, 3pm PST, on the button, or 3:06 to be more specific...Michael voices his own commercials, and used to do lots of local spots in San Francisco. Michael Savage gets it, he understands, not just fascinating and contemporary talk, he knows how to do local content brilliantly, and can debate and outwit the likes of fat Limbaugh, on a national level. I'm not including Beck, because Beck is merely stealing Savage's content, and using it as his own, hence, Mr. Chalkboard, arrogant white guy who tries to tell everyone else why the country is falling apart.

winterwest

Post by winterwest » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:38 am

Please continue to entertain us with your posts and don't think that just because you were unable to make it in this business there's no place for you. Those of us who know what we're talking about are quite entertained by your incredible lack of understanding about the industry.

djginamaree

Post by djginamaree » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:58 pm

I feel there is a need for street teams if you run them correctly... from the start, you hire the right people... train them, motivate and support them... I've worked as a street team person in a large metro station and remember all of us discussing how no one gives a flying f**k about the street team - so in return, they didn't give a f*ck...

I've also been a manager for street teams ... and I took it upon myself to hire the right people, train them AND make them feel apart of the station... give them incentives, invite them to things... NO we didn't just hand out shit bumper stickers (then, whats the point??!), we designed giveaways and games and events catered to each client... we would hire out a horizontal bungie, sumo wrestling suits... don't settle for same old, same old... how can YOU MAKE IT BETTER???

It is programmings responsibility... when it comes down to the image of the station on the streets, then YES, it is your responsibility. Work with promotions to better the street team, make sure they are across what is on the station... so when listeners ask about stuff, they know W.T.F. is happening and so on...

It's a good step in the door for a lot of people into radio... It's how I got my break!