Longest Single-Word Song? (Update)

Ask the Research Doctor a question.

Moderators: shawnski, rogerwimmer, jdenver

Forum rules
How do you ask the Research Doctor a question?

Just click on "New Topic" below and then type your question to me. Please put in a Subject and then ask your question in the body.

Your question is submitted annonymously unless you include your name.

Click "Submit" and then check back to find Dr. Wimmer's answer to your question.

If you wish to have a private answer to a question (not posted in the forum), please include your email address. Dr. Wimmer will send your answer directly to you.

Dr. Wimmer maintains an Archive of questions from the forum. Go to http://www.rogerwimmer.com and click on "The Research Doctor Archive" link.
rogerwimmer

Longest Single-Word Song? (Update)

Post by rogerwimmer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:38 am

Doc: What is the longest single-word song ever recorded? I’m curious because I had a discussion about the topic with some friends. - Anonymous

Anon: In the English language, there are two songs that tie for first place as having the longest single-word title. However, some people may complain because each is a made-up word, commonly referred to as a neologism.

The two songs I know about each contain 34 letters. Click on the song title to take you to YouTube to listen to the songs.

The first is a 1969 song by Isaac Hayes from his album, “Hot Buttered Soul.” Click here:
Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic

The second is from the 1964 Disney movie, “Mary Poppins.” Click here: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

By the way, I answered two other questions about the Isaac Hayes song and they are on The Research Doctor Archive. Scroll down to the questions titled (Isaac) Hayes.

(Want to comment on this question? Click on the POSTREPLY button under the question.)
Roger Wimmer is owner of Wimmer Research and senior author of Mass Media Research: An Introduction, 10th Edition.

rogerwimmer

Re: Longest Single-Word Song?

Post by rogerwimmer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:36 am

Hi Doc: How about Supergroovalisticprosifunkstication by Parliament with 35 letters? - Anonymous

Anon: Great! I never heard of that one before and it was released in 1975. I’m always happy to learn things. Thanks for sending it. To listen to the song, click here.

Thanks again.
Roger Wimmer is owner of Wimmer Research and senior author of Mass Media Research: An Introduction, 10th Edition.

rogerwimmer

Re: Longest Single-Word Song? (Update)

Post by rogerwimmer » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:55 am

Although it's not a "single word" song, I would like to point out a song called "By Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg" by Will Heagney, Will Mahoney and Bert Reed for having the longest single word in a song in the English language. Yes it's a real lake in Massachusetts. - Dan

And, of course, there's another one. The shortest band name ever goes to the band "A," an alternative rock group from England. If you want to check out their music you have to search by album title because otherwise you'll never find them. They have a hit song called "Nothing.” I found them on the Alternative Times collection. They also have the record for shortest song title with the song "A" off their album ‘A’ Vs. Monkey Kong.

Dan: Thanks for the comments.
That’s an alternate spelling for the lake, but that’s fine. In addition, it's not an English word. It's attributed to the Nipmuck (or Nipmuc) Tribe. For those who haven’t heard this toe-tapper, click here.

If you haven’t heard the “Monkey Kong” song click here.