Put a Ring On It Question

Ask the Research Doctor a question.

Moderators: shawnski, rogerwimmer, jdenver

Forum rules
How do you ask the Research Doctor a question?

Just click on "New Topic" below and then type your question to me. Please put in a Subject and then ask your question in the body.

Your question is submitted annonymously unless you include your name.

Click "Submit" and then check back to find Dr. Wimmer's answer to your question.

If you wish to have a private answer to a question (not posted in the forum), please include your email address. Dr. Wimmer will send your answer directly to you.

Dr. Wimmer maintains an Archive of questions from the forum. Go to http://www.rogerwimmer.com and click on "The Research Doctor Archive" link.
rogerwimmer

Put a Ring On It Question

Post by rogerwimmer » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:43 am

I’m not in the radio business and found your column when I was searching things on the Internet. I’m old, so I’m not very good at that. My question is: I heard a song on the radio in my car the other day, but the announcer didn’t say who sang the song or the title of the song. The song was clearly done by a lady, but I couldn’t understand most of what she was singing. However, she kept repeating something about “If you like my fat finger put a ring on it.” She said that over and over. Could that be what she was singing? Do you know what song that is? Thanks for helping a senior citizen. - Bret

Bret: Hey, no problem with helping a senior citizen, and I have to admit that I laughed out loud when I read what you wrote. Let’s get to your answer . . .

First, it’s too bad that the announcer didn’t say the artist and song title. That information is always on the top of listeners’ desires when they listen to radio, but many radio stations just don’t give the listeners what they want. Too bad.

I’m fairly sure the song you heard was “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” by Beyoncé, and the lyric she repeats is “If you like it, then you shoulda put a ring on it.” I can guarantee that she doesn’t include the words “fat finger” in that line. Maybe this will help. You can watch the video of her performing the song if you click here.

Thanks for writing.

(Want to comment on this question? Click on the POSTREPLY button under the question.)
Roger Wimmer is owner of Wimmer Research and senior author of Mass Media Research: An Introduction, 10th Edition.