WWOK Miami, Veteran Newsman, Evan Carl Passes

appleson

WWOK Miami, Veteran Newsman, Evan Carl Passes

Post by appleson » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:24 am

06-08-2014

It is with a heavy heart I report to you, Veteran Miami Radio Broadcaster and former newspaperman, Evan Carl, has passed on. Details are still sketchy at this time, but informed sources say, he was emceing one of his beloved Bluegrass Events when he was stricken. Mr. Carl was a sought after emcee/raconteur on the Country Bluegrass Festival circuit. His knowledge of the folks who perform and write the music was stunning, as well as his un-pretentious delivery.

I had the distinct pleasure of working with Evan in the early 1970's at WWOK-AM/WIGL-FM Radio, Miami. Evan was “my” News Man during my 3 to 7pm afternoon show. It was Country Music 24 hours a day. Before Radio News and Sports, Evan was a newspaper man. I believe he worked for the Milwaukee Times. One thing for sure, he could do more with a telephone and a beat up manual Underwood typewriter (word processor) and two fingers mashing the keys, all the while scooping the other 44 stations in town and the Miami Herald. Over the years he had developed a Rolodex (phone # database) of all the movers and shakers in town. But what made him better than most, was he could keep track in his head, the little quirks each of us have. He’d talk to the Mayor, the Police Chief or whom ever. He would ask how the new baby is, what you did on your vacation last week, stuff like that. He chat with them like a friend and always got the story.

You had to keep the Newsroom door shut. The sound of him doing 45 words per minute with two fingers on that Underwood was more noisy that the Associated Press TTY in the corner!

Evan would show up before his shift with about a pint of “rocket fuel”. That’s Cuban Coffee from a Bodega off Coral Way & 17th. Because is was so full of caffeine, it was usually served in a paper cup the size of a small shot glass. So, Evan would do a half pint in the first ten minutes and then knock out excellent news stories for the rest of the afternoon.

But the thing that everyone remembers is his On Air delivery. It was a cross between, Walter Winchel, John Cameron Swayze, with a little Paul Havey thrown in for good measure. When Evan Carl hit the On Air button, with his staccato & at times, machine gun delivery, YOU listened!

I remember, a story about a bank robber who dressed in drag, apparently so he wouldn’t be caught. He was. Evan gave the facts and then went into a Runway Fashion show delivery describing what the perp was wearing. You had to be there!

I knew Evan Carl to be, a Professional Broadcaster, very well read, charming, witty, funny, serious and a host of other adjectives. I’m proud to call him my friend. And, I shall miss him dearly. My condolences to his family and friends.

-[30]-
(for photo goto: FB Pat Appleson)
Photo: ©1972 Pat Appleson Studios, Inc. http://www.appleson.com - All Rights Reserved, Used by Permission. Story: ©1972 Pat Appleson Studios, Inc.