Does Situations Wanted Section Actually Work???

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
mnfri

Does Situations Wanted Section Actually Work???

Post by mnfri » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:24 pm

I'm not trying to antagonize. I'm just really curious. Does posting "hey hire me please" in the situations wanted section actually work? Is anyone personally aware of a case when someone was hired because they posted something there? All indicators seem to point towards it being a futile effort. I look at it periodically just out of curiosity. I see the same folks posting their ads in there over and over and over again.

I would think a PD would have to be pretty damn desperate to go perusing through a forum of people who were too lazy to pursue individual stations directly. Any solid opening will have more than enough applicants that I doubt a Program Director would need or desire to check the Situations Wanted section of All Access.

spokesgoddess

Re: Does Situations Wanted Section Actually Work???

Post by spokesgoddess » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:36 am

I've wondered that also. Especially talents that don't bother to have a place for a PD to find out more about them without having to email or call. It seems pretty standard in this day and age to have at the very least a Soundcloud (or like) account and/or FB page or geeze a FREE website through Wix (which I did, lol).

And it would seem that after posting the same title over and over and not getting a response one might switch it up a bit and try something new.

Anyone else had any luck? Any PD's out there actually reached out to a Situations Wanted poster?

bigdan

Post by bigdan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:31 am

I use "Situations Wanted" on a secondary basis..like maybe 2% of the time, with the other 98% seeking out stations and/or clusters. Does "Situations" actually work?? For me...not yet!!
But hey...it doesn't hurt to cover all basis, when searching for that next gig.
Happy Hunting!!

brianmcnx

Post by brianmcnx » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:59 am

I agree with bigdan; just found a full-time gig. I used SW everyday and used it as one of many networking tools. It is free and nothing is gained by not posting. Person "A" saw my ad a year ago on SW and I kept in contact with them until they recommended me for my present gig. Good luck to all!

jdenver

Post by jdenver » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:10 am

I know plenty of programmers who have found folks in Situations Wanted, and plenty of unemployed who've connected using this free forum.

Success in anything has a lot to do with presentation. A well written blurb about your availability and talents beats something put together in haste, without thought or care. Coming off as desperate or with the same message over and over again will not get you much of a look.

jdenver

Post by jdenver » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:41 am

Hey Danno ...

Situations Wanted and Job Openings are both very highly trafficked pages on the site. I don't think there is a lack of awareness among employers that this is a place to look for candidates.

The best success will come from those job seekers posting something carefully written that says something interesting about them, their skills, and why they should be considered.

pbergin

Post by pbergin » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:01 am

OK, how 'bout this!

"Elderly, worn out, and utterly useless pile of human slop about to retire and looking for next opportunity. Preferably six figure income with view of ocean, well stocked keg-a-rator and a daily supply of Hooters 3 mile Island wings."

pdjobs91462

Post by pdjobs91462 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:21 am

Yes, it does.

I've gotten several bites using it.

pdjobs91462

Post by pdjobs91462 » Tue May 29, 2012 11:30 am

It sure as hell does work.

It takes patience and the right title.

State your qualifications in the title. Don't get cute with it. I just got a gig using it.